Benjamin Martin Clopton
Oct 23, 1854 - April 12, 1926
B. M. CLOPTON, owner of the Clopton Planing Mills,
213 East Fourth Avenue, in establishing the Clopton Mills thirty years ago erected one of
the commercial strongholds that has helped to increase the wealth and population of
This concern was organized in 1892 under the joint
ownership of Clopton and Bragg, but was later bought out by Mr. Clopton who owned the
business alone until some years later when Mr. Charles Hagins purchased a partnership. The
mill turns out every kind of novelty mill work including sash, doors, windows, built-in
cabinets, and various other built-in features. All ornamental work and inside fixtures of
the Palace and Grand Theaters were done by this concern.
A native of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, and the son
of J. A. and Lucy Wade Clopton, Mr. Clopton came to Texas with his parents February 19,
1874, when he was nineteen years of age. The family settled in Navarro County where a farm
was purchased, and Mr. Clopton spent the first year of his life in Texas plowing his
father's land with a team of oxen. By the end of that year, however, he determined to
follow his own trade as contractor and came to Corsicana to establish himself in business.
He continued in the contracting business until 1892 when he opened the Clopton Planing
In 1884 he erected a home for himself and family
at 521 North Beaton Street and he is still living there. He has a son, Sam H. Clopton of
Beaumont, and one daughter, Mrs. A. P. Simpson of Corsicana, whose son Donald Simpson is
Mr. Clopton's only grandchild.
Mr. Clopton was for six years a Councilman in the
Third ward. He is a member of the Odd Fellows, the Waterworks Club, and attends the First
[The above biography was published in The Encyclopedia of
Texas, compiled and edited by Ellis A. Davis and Edwin H. Grobe (Dallas, ca. 1922),
[Note: Benjamin Martin Clopton was born 23 October 1854
and died 12 April 1926. He married Lizzie Viola Haynie (1862-1897) in Rice on 18 May 1882.
Both are buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Corsicana.]
Donated by Roger
FOR B. M.
3 o’clock at
Rev. Paul J.
at the grave
63, I. O. O.
had been a
Mrs. A. P.
Mrs. A. J.
and Mrs. W.
were, J. H.
rest of the