Bazette Baptist Church and Cemetery
Historical Marker
Bazette, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Religion Index

 

Photo by Dana Stubbs

Location: 5 miles NW on FM 636, Bazette

Bazette Baptist Church and Cemetery

The early farming settlement of Bazette, named for a Baptist preacher, developed before the Civil War. In 1881, postmaster and store owner William Ellison (1840-1906) deeded land at this site for the community's Baptist church. First known as Liberty Missionary Baptist Church, the congregation may have formed as early as the 1860s. In 1890, the Deacons purchased adjoining land from J. L. Jennings for the establishment of a cemetery. The oldest marked grave is that of Johnnie Hiett (1881-1891). The church and cemetery serve as reminders of the area's early history.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986

See Also:

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox