Blooming Grove Schools
Historical Marker
Blooming Grove, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Schools Index

 

Photo by Dana Stubbs

Located: Blooming Grove High School, 200 block of Grady Street Blooming Grove

 

Blooming Grove School

Early pioneer Richard Gowan donated land one mile southeast of this site in 1869, on which the citizens of Gradyville (later renamed Blooming Grove), erected a small white building to house a church, community meeting place, and school. The Rev. G. P. Miller served as the first teacher. Soon the little school was too small, and in 1878 a large frame school building was erected near the town's general store. When the cotton belt railroad completed a new line from Corsicana to Hillsboro in 1888, the town moved one mile north to "new" Blooming Grove on the rail line. By 1890 another school, a two-story frame structure, was built in the new town. In 1910 a red brick school building replaced the frame one. The Blooming Grove Independent School District was created by the Legislature in 1917.  S. W. Henderson, Superintendent from 1920 to 1925, gained accreditation for the school. By 1930 the red brick building was so deteriorated that it was condemned. Classes were held in area churches until yet another building could be erected the next year. A new Junior/Senior High School was completed in 1984, followed by a new elementary school in 1985.

Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 Incise on Reverse: B. G. Ex Students

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission

 

 

 

Dedication Program

3:30 P.M.
Saturday, September 24, 1988

Master of Ceremonies ... J. Forest Green, Chairman, Navarro County Historical Commission

Invocation ... The Reverend Bruce Cotton, Minister, First Baptist Church Blooming Grove

Pledge of Allegiance, U.S. & Texas Flags ... 5th Grade, Blooming Grove Elementary School, Directed By Wanda Barton, Principal

Welcome Address ... Marshall McMillan, Superintendent, B.G. Schools - 1985

Guest Speaker ... C.C. Isbell Superintendent, B.G. Schools - 1935-1940

Dedicatory Remarks ... Douglas E. Moore, Superintendent, B.G. Schools - 1980 - 1985

Remarks ... Don Taylor, President, B.G. School Board

Dedication of Marker ... Wyvonne Putman

Executive Secretary, Navarro County Historical Society

Acceptance of Marker ... Don Von Hoffman, Mayor of Blooming Grove

Unveiling of Marker ... J. O. McSpadden, Former School Board member .... J. K. Melton President School Board Member

Benediction .... The Reverend Don Elrod Minister, First United Methodist Church.

Historical Research by Ruth Edmundson Ramsey Former Blooming Grove School Teacher

 


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox