Blooming Grove United Methodist Church
Historical Marker
Blooming Grove, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Religion Index || Blooming Grove Community

 

Blooming Grove United Methodist Church

In 1869, Richard and Susan Gowan gave land on Rush Creek (1 mi. SE) for a Methodist Church and Cemetery. Gowan, his neighbors, and others built a white frame chapel for church and school. That building was moved to Blooming Grove in 1887. Second sanctuary was built in 1893 on the present site. The Methodist denomination operated (1899-1913) Central Texas College in Blooming Grove increasing work of this church. Dr. Clovis Chappell (1882-1972) and Dr. E. B. Hawk (1881-1963) pastors who later won national renown led in building (1913) the present edifice. The congregation has given 22 men to the ministry.

Marker Sponsor: Triune Sunday School Class

Location: Kerr and Third Street, Blooming Grove

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission

Notes:


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox