5

 

Corsicana Newspapers
Historical Marker
Corsicana, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Newspapers

 

Submitted by Jeanna Perry Chowning

Corsicana Newspapers

The first newspaper in Navarro County, called the "Prairie Blade," began publication in 1855 and was owned by Dan Donaldson.   By 1859 the paper was owned by R. A. VanHorn who changed its name to the "Navarro Express."  Paper was in short supply with the coming of the civil war and the "Express" was issued only when paper was available.

Publications begun in Corsicana in the 1870s and 1880s included the "Odd Fellowship on Literature."  The "Texas Observer, " a four sheet journal called the "Corsicana Methodist," and a literary magazine called "The Texas Prairie."

The "Corsicana Semi-Light" first appeared on September 7, 1888.  The "Corsicana Daily Sun" began publication March 2, 1895.  Both papers were owned by the Sun-Light Publishing Company by 1895.  In 1962 the Harte-Hanks newspaper chain purchased both papers and established the news coverage area as the "Golden Circle," which represented a 30-mile radius of Corsicana.  Harte-Hanks built a new facility and sold the  "Corsicana Daily Sun" to Worrell newspapers in 1987.  The paper changed owners late in 1987.  Then November 1991 the "Daily Sun" was purchased by the American Publishing Company.  (1996)

Location: 405 East Collin, Corsicana, front of the Corsicana Daily Sun Building

 

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox