Eureka Methodist Church
Historical Marker
Eureka, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Religion Index

 

 

Photo byDana Stubbs

Eureka Methodist Church

Prior to the Civil War, circuit riding ministers began serving Methodist settlers in this area. By the 1880s a formal congregation was organized, and in 1881 land was acquired from Mark H. Bird on which to build a church and establish a graveyard (now known as Bird Cemetery). A sanctuary built that year was destroyed by winds several years later. The church moved to this site in 1902 and has continued to serve the community. Recent building programs have resulted in the construction of an educational building, a parsonage, and a new sanctuary. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986

Location: South Hwy 287, at CR SE 3100, Eureka, Texas

 

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox