Fire Station No. 2
Historical Marker
Corsicana, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Fire Departments Index

 

Photo by Dana Stubbs

Fire Station No. 2

The Corsicana volunteer fire department was organized in Dec. 1879 with J. J. Strupper as chief. Volunteer fire fighters carried buckets before acquiring hand and horse-drawn equipment. Fire Station No. 1, located at city hall, was first occupied in 1892 by Chief F. N. Drane, who supervised drilling of artesian wells to supply water. Fire Station No. 2 was built in 1902 as a substation for west Corsicana. In 1924, after protecting lives and property for 45 years, the volunteer system was replaced by the City Fire Department which continued to use this building until 1926. (1977)

Location: 1011 West 5th Ave. Corsicana, Texas

 

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox