First Baptist Church
Historical Marker
Corsicana, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Religion Index

 


 

Photo by Dana Stubbs

Location: 510 West Collin, Corsicana, Texas

 

Visit the First Baptist Church of Corsicana WebStite at;
http://www.fbccorsicana.org/

First Baptist Church

Originally known as the United Baptist Church, this fellowship was established through the leadership of the Rev. Noah Turner Byars, a pioneer preacher and founder of the Trinity River Baptist Association.  The church organizational meeting was conducted in 1848 with early Texas Baptist Judge R. E. B. Baylor and the Rev. Z. N. Morrell presiding.  Worship services were first held in a community building shared with the local Presbyterian and Methodist Congregations.   In 1865 during the pastorate of the Rev. S. G. Mullins, the members moved to a vacant store at the corner of Third Avenue and Eleventh Street where they worshiped for ten years.  Sanctuaries were constructed at two other sites before the church moved to this location in 1901.  An educational building added later was named for an early member and benefactor, Kate Stiteler McKie.
Prominent pastors here have included the Rev. W. B. Bagby, First Southern Baptist missionary to Brazil, and the Rev. J. Howard Williams, later president of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth.  Active in mission work, the church has served a sponsor for four area congregations: Memorial, Calvary, Northside, and Iglesia Bautista Calvario.

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox