First Baptist Church of Rice
Historical Marker
Rice, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Religion Index

 

 

 

First Baptist Church of Rice

On Feb. 21, 18575, three years after a rail line was built to the area, a group of local residents met to organize this congregation. Early worship services were conducted in the community schoolhouse. In 1894 a sanctuary was constructed at this site on land acquired from rice institute. A Houston organization founded by railroad man William Marsh Rice, for whom this town was named. For over a century, the First Baptist Church has led in the development of the area. Its role in the community continues to reflect the ideals if its pioneer founders. (1983)

Location: Rice Baptist Church, 201 South Dallas St, Rice, TX

Photo by Jane Bell Smith

 

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox