First Gas Pipeline
First public use of Natural Gas began in Texas in 1902. From transmission lines on this street serving local homes and businesses. Three early lines were forerunners of mains that now transport Texas gas to three-fourths of the United States and Mexico.
Other Natural Gas
industry pioneer achievements in Navarro County were the first use of meters. in 1905 at Chatfield (12 mi. NE), and first use of gas in pumping oil wells in the Corsicana Field 1906.
Developers of Navarro
fields expanded to Clay County, and in 1907 were supplying natural gas to Henrietta and Wichita Falls. Fort Worth and Dallas were furnished service in 1909-1910. By 1918 new fields supplied Laredo, San Antonio, Waco. Today Texas is spanned by over 83,000 miles of gas pipelines.
A 1918 discovery opened the Amarillo field. Soon recognized as the world's foremost gas field - and point of beginning during the 1920's of the first interstate natural gas pipelines.
Texas now has 27 pipeline companies exporting gas. Annual production rate is nearly eight trillion cubic feet. A number of wells deliver more than 20 million
cubic feet per day. Texas has 42.3 per cent of proven United States natural gas reserves.
Location: 116 S. Main, Corsicana, Navarro County, Texas