First Independent Baptist Church
Historical Marker
Corsicana, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Religion Index

 

Photo by Dana Stubbs

First Independent Baptist Church

A group of former slaves led by Simon Perry organized the Second African Baptist Church in 1868.  Following an 1886 storm that destroyed the structure on Fourth Avenue the members purchased this property and constructed a new building.  In 1918 they completed the present structure. The church name was changed in 1929 to reflect the congregations independence from other religious groups.  Three area Baptist congregations, Wilgo, Harmony & Sixth Avenue, were started by members of the fellowship. (1980)

Location: 701 East 5th, Corsicana, Texas

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox