Former Site of
The Fred Douglass
G. W. Jackson School
Corsicana built its first public school for blacks on this site in 1881. The early formal name commemorating ethnic leader Frederick Douglass (1817-95), was changed in 1925 to honor the first principal, G. W. Jackson (1854-1940).
A Booker T. Washington disciple, Jackson introduced industrial education and other progressive ideas. The school became famous for its music department and football championships, and had intensely loyal alumni. In 1970 integration ended its career. Its buildings were razed in 1974 and this park created in 1976.
Location: Rex Ingram Memorial Park, 1000 block of E. 5th at N. 2nd Ave, Corsicana, Texas