Frost
Historical Marker
Frost, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Frost Community

 

Location: S. Front and FM 667, Frost, Texas

Photo by Dana Stubbs

 

Frost

Prior to 1887 the community of Cross Roads existed two miles south of this location.  The town of Frost was created when a post office was established in March of that year to serve settlements west of Corsicana along the St. Louis, Arkansas, and Texas Railroad.  Businesses previously located at Cross Roads moved to the new town.

Land for the town-site was donated by R. J. Sanders and the town was named in honor of Samuel R. Frost (1846-1908), Navarro County Judge and State Legislator.  The City of Frost was incorporated on June 7, 1893.

Churches of several denominations and schools were organized in the early years of Frost's existence.  A Methodist Church was established in 1887, and three years later the Frost Baptist Church was organized.   The Frost Common School District was created in May 1890.

Two banks opened in Frost in the early 1900's and a newspaper, THE FROST ENTERPRISE, was published weekly.  Many of the town's structures were destroyed or damaged in a May 6, 1930 tornado.

Since its beginning Frost has remained an agricultural community, and retains the charm and atmosphere of a rural Texas Town.

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission

 

 

Dedication Program

Frost Historical Marker
1887 - 1987
Frost, Texas
October 17, 1987

Master of Ceremonies ... Jimmy Hooser

Invocation ... Rev. Clyde Zellers, Pastor, Frost United Methodist Church

Pledge To The U.S. & Texas Flags ... 5th & 6th Grades, Directed by Teachers, Mrs. Bobbette Butler & Mrs. Pamela Brown

Welcome Address ... J. O. Williams, Mayor of Frost

Guest Speaker ... Tom Waldrop, 12th District State Representative

Dedicatory Remarks ... Wyvonne Putman, Executive Secretary, Navarro County Historical Society

Guest Spearker ... Mark Price, 9th District Coordinator

Dedication of Marker ... Bill Hargrove, County Commissioner, Precinct 4

Acceptance of Marker ... J. O. Williams, Mayor of Frost

Unveiling of Marker ... Dr. Doug Harrison, Prof. of Chemical Engineering, Louisiana State University

Benediction ... Rev. Joe Spay, Pastor, Frost Baptist Church


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox