Organized on Aug 2, 1866,
Hopewell Baptist Church was founded by ten charter members; Emily
Meador, Thomas Meador, Elizabeth Ann Meador, John M. Tate, Mary Tate,
Eleanor D. Bright, Eleanor Crabb Bright, Sarah McDonnell, the Rev.
Hardema Royster Puryear, and Caroline Adams Puryear. The first
worship service was a protracted meeting of several days, during which
15 new members joined the church. The Rev. Mr. Puryear was
called as the church's first pastor.
The congregation purchased three
acres of land in the summer of 1867, and by November 1868 their first
sanctuary was completed. Located adjacent to the present
Hopewell Cemetery, the building served the congregation at that site for
four decades. After the town-site of Navarro was laid out along
the Trinity and Brazos Valley rail line, the congregation voted to
relocate and the church building was moved in 1907.
The only church in the
community, Hopewell Baptist has continued steadfast over the years.
After a 1939 wind storm damaged the sanctuary, it was rebuilt near the
original site. Hopewell Baptist Church remains an important part
of the area's history.
Location Hopewell Baptist Church, Navarro,
Navarro Co., Texas
The text of the historical markers
have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission
April 28, 1991
Comments by Former Pastors
Brother Ray O. Brooks, President
Texas Baptist Institute - Seminary
Unveiling of Marker