Navarro County was created in
1846 by an act of the first Texas legislature. It was named for early
statesman Jose Antonio Navarro (1795-1871), A signer of the Texas
Declaration of Independence. The first county seat was established at
the home of William R. Howe, an early settler on the Waxahachie creek in
present-day Ellis County. In 1848, Corsicana was designated the seat of
government, and temporary offices were set up in the home of pioneer
The first permanent courthouse
for Navarro County was a log cabin located on the corner of West Avenue
and Twelfth Street. A second courthouse, built at this site in 1853,
burned in 1855. Requiring the construction of a third building. In 1880,
Austin architect F. E. Ruffini designed a fourth courthouse for Navarro
County. The elaborately ornate building proved too small for the needs
of the growing county, and a shifting foundation caused the structure to
be condemned in 1904.
The present courthouse was
designed by architect J. E. Flanders of Dallas. Constructed of red Burnet
granite and gray brick, it was completed in 1905. The Beaux Arts
Classical Revival structure features a clock dome and a pedimental
entryway with free-standing ionic columns.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
entrance of the Navarro County Courthouse,
300 West 3rd
Ave., Corsicana, Texas.