Co-Sponsored by The Corps of Engineers and
the Navarro County
Mills Reservoir, Richland
Navarro Mills Reservoir
is the story of progressive thinking and cooperation on the part of
local citizens, the Corps of Engineers and the Trinity River Authority.
Construction of the dam
began on December 23, 1959, and was completed on May 10, 1963. At a cost
of $9,598,000, the project provides flood protection to many acres of
land along Richland Creek and in the Trinity River Basin. It also
provides a dependable source of municipal water supply for the cities of
Corsicana, Dawson, and Hubbard and a recreation resource that attracts
over a million visitors annually.
The project derived its
name from its proximity to the Navarro Mills
Community, which was
founded in 1860. The first flour mill in Navarro County was located
nearby and was called Navarro Mills. This was the reason for the early
settlement and its name.
During the course of
construction archeological investigations in the lake area uncovered an
Indian skeleton and a dinosaur tooth which have become a part of Navarro
County heritage and are on display at Navarro County's Pioneer Village
Museum in Corsicana.