Pelham Community
Historical Marker
Pelham, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Pelham Community

 

Photo by Dana Stubbs

Pelham Community

First Called Forks of the Creek, this town was settled by black families after 1866. Wesley United Methodist Church, which housed the first school, was organized in 1878 and moved near the present cemetery in 1890. Brown's Chapel A. M. E. Church was formed in 1905 and Union Baptist in 1916. Granted a post office in 1898, the town was renamed Pelham by postmaster Lewis Richie's wife for her home in Alabama. Population peaked at 350 in 1926. The post office schools, stores, cotton gin, and telephone company that served the village are now gone, but the community heritage remains strong. (1975)

Location: 6 mi. E of Malone on FM 744, Pelham, TX

 

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission

 

Dedication Program

Sunday, October 12, 1975 ... Time: 3:00 PM

Master of Ceremonies ... Mr. Nelson Ross

Invocation ... Rev. George Morris

Pledge of Allegiance ... Ralph Porter

Remarks of Appreciation ... Miss Adolphus Martin

Song ... Faith of Our Fathers

Dedication of Marker ... Mr. Nelson Ross

Unveiling of Marker ... Mrs. J. P. Martin

Acceptance of Marker ... Mr. Elmer Porter

Remarks ... R. C. Dunn, County Judge, Forrest Green, State Rep.

Benediction ... Rev. D. Brown

Historical Committee:
Miss Adolphus Martin
Mrs. J. D. Heishell
Mrs. J. B. Porter
Mrs. Bernard Porter
Mrs. R. N. Davenport


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox