Prairie Point Church and Cemetery
Historical Marker
Prairie Point, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Religion Index || Prairie Point Cemetery

 

Prairie Point Church and Cemetery

Pioneer area settlers met in 1855 to organize a Methodist Episcopal Church, south.  Five years later, the congregation built a sanctuary at this site on land donated by charter member Zachariah Westbrook (1809-1878) and his wife, Mary (Agnew) (1813-1896).  The Westbrooks' donation also included the original tract of the adjacent cemetery.  The earliest marked grave there is for A. J. Morgan, who died in 1871.  Prairie Point Methodist church disbanded in 1910, but the building continues in use as a community center for the surrounding rural area.

Location: 5 miles NW on FM 636, 1 mile NE on county road, left Prairie Point

 

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission

 

Photo by Melba Love


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox