Raleigh Cemetery was named for
the community of Raleigh, an early settlement in Navarro County.
Raleigh's post office was established in 1900, and for a time the town
maintained a church, grist mill, blacksmith shop and school. Although
the first marked grave is that of Lauretty Frost (1852-54), Raleigh
Cemetery was not mentioned in the Navarro County deed books until 1885,
when A. Barry and his wife, M. E. Barry, set aside 1.5 acres of land for
a burial ground. The cemetery, which is still in use, contains
approximately 170 graves.
Location: From Blooming
Grove, go S. on FM 55 about 5 mi., go W. on
FM 744 about 2 1/2 miles to NW 3020, go SE about 4/10 mile to gate on E. side of Rd,
follow dirt Rd 2/10 mi. to cemetery (on private property)
The text of the historical markers
have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission