Rural Shade, Texas
As early as 1850 there were several families living in the area near the wildcat ferry on the
Trinity River. In 1852 a gravel road designed to be the best route from
Corsicana to the Wildcat Ferry ran directly through this community.
In 1858 Washington Ingram became the first postmaster of Rural
Shade. A school district was created
in 1867. In 1888, Rural Shade Baptist Church of Christ was
established and land was deeded to the community for a school and a
church to be shared by the Methodist Episcopal, Christian, and Primitive
and Missionary Baptist churches.
Many early settlers were farmers
living in log cabins with dirt floors. By the turn of the century
there were several fine large homes, most still surrounded by barns
filled with livestock. In 1917 church membership was 237.
School enrollment had reached 305 pupils by 1929.
Rural free delivery began in
1912. Rural Shade continued to grow until World War II, when many
young people departed for cities and did not return. In 1953 a
community center was created in the school building on this site.
Ex students reunited each July through the 20th century.