Salem Cemetery
Historical Marker
Irene, Hill County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Salem Cemetery

 

SALEM CEMETERY

The First Interment here was in 1870, but that grave was later moved. Oldest graves now are those of twin infants E. and P. J. Sheet, who died Feb. 9, 1871, and Synthia Green, who died Aug 9, 1871. R. M. and W. J. Graham and F. M. Reed gave the land to the Methodist Episcopal Church south in 1876 as a site for a church, school, and cemetery. One of the 826 graves here is that of Nathaniel Addison (1811 - 1900), A veteran of the Texas Revolution. The Salem cemetery association, organized in 1904, is still active, but the church was closed in 1913, and the school consolidated with Irene in 1917. (1975)

Located at the entrance of the Salem Cemetery just across the county line in Hill County, west of Emmett, Navarro Co., TX

Notes:

 

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox