Site of Merchants Opera House
Historical Marker
Corsicana, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Business Index

 

Photo by Dana Stubbs

Site of Merchants Opera House

At this site in 1891, A group of businessmen built a three-story structure to replace the small Corsicana opera house above city hall. The merchants opera house had stores and offices on the first two floors and a balconied auditorium on the top story. Opulently decorated in the style of the day, the theater seated up to 1000. Plays, minstrel shows and musical concerts, featuring well-known performers, entertained audiences here. The building was sold, but burned in 1914 before it could be converted into a motion picture theater as planned (1974)

Location: 113 South Beaton, Corsicana, Texas

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission

See Also:


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox