Site of University Training School
Central Texas College
Historical Marker
Blooming Grove, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Central Texas College

 

Photo by Dana Stubbs

Site of University Training School - Central Texas College

In 1899, the Corsicana District of the Northwest Texas Methodist Conference established a college preparatory school. The following year, the University Training School opened at this site under the direction of the Rev. J. W. Adkisson, a respected Christian educator. In 1909, a junior college curriculum was added and the institution was renamed Central Texas College. The 15-acre campus included an ornate three-story Victorian main building. Although the school closed in 1912, it had a lasting impact on the development of educational systems in Blooming Grove.

Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1886

Location: South end Fordyce St., Blooming Grove, TX

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox