Smith - McCrery Home
Historical Marker
Corsicana, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Homes Index

 

Photo by Dana Stubbs

Smith - McCrery Home

Built in 1880, this house originally was the residence of Dr. John R. Smith who served as mayor of Corsicana from 1883 until 1885.  During his term of office Smith organized the Volunteer Fire Department and helped Navarro County set up a poor farm at Petty's Chapel where prisoners without money could work off their fines.   In 1898 the home was purchased by Mrs. A. W.  McCrory, a widow who brought her ten daughters and her mother-in-law to live here.  The house remained in the McCrery family until 1967.   (1984)

Location: 1306 West 4th, Corsicana, Texas

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox