St. John's Episcopal Church
Historical Marker
Corsicana, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Religion Index

 

101 Norh 14th St., 
Corsicana
, Texas

St. John's Episcopal Church

This church was established in 1871 following Episcopal missionary efforts which began in the Corsicana area in the 1850s. Started as a mission, St. John's was organized under the leadership of the Rev. Virginius Gee. In 1874 the first church building was constructed at this site on property donated by E. J. and W. S. Simkins. The parish was formally organized two years later. An Episcopal school, The First in the Dallas Diocese, operated here during the 1940s. Actively involved in the area, the parish also sponsors St. Alban's Mission in Hubbard (27 mi. SW)
(1980)

 

St. Johns History Booklet

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox