The First National Bank of Corsicana
Historical Marker
Corsicana, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || The First National Bank of Corsicana

 

 

Marker photo not
available at this time

 

The First National Bank of Corsicana

An institution whose history reflects rise of a landmark city. Corsicana was founded about 1850. In 1871 when the Houston and Texas Central gave the town rail connections with national commerce, two former H. & T. employees established this bank as a private concern. The men were Captain James Garitty (1842-1925), experienced as a bank clerk and Joseph Huey (1827-1904), a tin and hardware dealer. The firm was called Garitty, Huey & Company, and served cotton growers as well as ranchers and cowboys driving cattle to the railroad. By 1886 their business had expanded so greatly that they incorporated and obtained a charter for the First National Bank of Corsicana with capital of $125,000 and surplus of $75,000.

Drilling for a new municipal water well in 1894 brought first major oil and gas discovery in Texas. The pioneer field developed first use in the state of natural gas in lighting and heating. First use of petroleum for railroad locomotives. First use of oil in highway surfacing. Texas' first refinery was built in Corsicana. During and after the years of petroleum industry development, the city gained other business and cultural advantages with this bank giving aid and leadership in many phases of civic progress. (1971)

Location: 101 North Main, Corsicana, Texas

 

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox