The Scales - Fortson House
Historical Marker
Corsicana, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Homes Index

 

Photo by Dana Stubbs

The Scales - Fortson House

This residence was constructed in the 1890s by H. L. Scales, owner of a local gin and cotton seed oil mill.  In 1911 it was purchased by John Thompson, President of the Corsicana National Bank.  It became the home of banker and landowner, Joe B. Fortson in the 1920s and remained in his family until 1976.  The galleried house features Victorian and classical revival detailing and interior woodwork of walnut, maple, and redwood.

Recorded Texas Historical Landmark, 1980

Location: 220 North 14th Street and 4rd Ave Corsicana, Texas

See Also:

 

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox