Marker photo not
available at this time
Post of Dr. George Washington Hill (1814-1860)
frontier physician and public servant of the Republic of Texas. Born in
Tennessee, Hill received his medical degree from Transylvania
University. He came to Texas in 1836, where he was a surgeon for Fort
Houston at the opening of his lifelong practice. In 1837 Hill became the
medical censor for Milam County. Later that year, he moved to newly
created Robertson County, where he married Miss Matilda Slaughter. He
entered public office as Robertson County Representative in the Congress
of the Republic, 1838-41 and 1842-43.
(Dawson - Farm-Market 709, 2
miles north, at roadside park)
In 1838 Hill was
reported operating a trading post near here. His home, called Spring
Hill became the first settlement in Navarro County. Later that year,
however, it was connected with a tragedy. A few days after spending the
night at Hill's place twenty-one surveyors (including Hill's brother)
were virtually annihilated by several hundred Kickapoos. [story]
Hill was named Indian
agent for the Republic in 1841, and in 1843 he became Secretary of War.
After Texas joined the Union he served in the legislature.
Throughout these years
he continued to practice medicine, facing many dangers in order to
render aid. In 1853 Hill County was named in his honor.
Location: 2 miles north on FM 709, Roadside Park,