Wesley Chapel Methodist Church
Historical Marker
Pelham, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Religion Index

 

Photo by Dana Stubbs

Wesley Chapel Methodist Church

This congregation was established at the forks of Richland and Ash creeks in 1877 by the Rev. Austin Lockhart, an itinerant Methodist minister of the West Texas Conference. Initial services were held in a nearby log schoolhouse and later in a church building near the present-day Pelham Cemetery. New sanctuaries were erected at this site in 1911 and in 1934. Wesley Chapel Methodist Church is an important local institution with a tradition of supporting a Sunday school, choir, and numerous youth and elderly outreach programs and activities for members of the rural Pelham community. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845-1995

Location: 25 mi E. of Corsicana on FM 744, then 2 Blks. E on CR NW 3280 in the Pelham Community, Texas

 

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox