Westminister Presbyterian Church
Historical Marker
Corsicana, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Religion Index

 

Photo by Dana Stubbs

Westminister Presbyterian Church

On May 16, 1853, the Rev. John Patton and about 20 Cumberland Presbyterian formed the first organized church in Corsicana. Other Presbyterians organized later; the First Church, U.S. in 1868. and an Associate Reformed Church (1895) that in 1908 joined the United Presbyterian Church.

The Cumberland congregation split and a surviving group (1912) affiliated with the Presbyterian Church in the U.S. A. All these congregations merged in 1949 in the Westminister Presbyterian Church. The Bethel Mexican group joined Westminister in 1968. (1976)

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission

 

See Also:


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox