YMCA of Corsicana
Historical Marker
Corsicana, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || YMCA of Corsicana || Organizations Index

 

 

YMCA of Corsicana

The Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) of Corsicana was organized in 1884 and was one of only two YMCAs in the state at that time.   E. W. (Wiliey) Johnson served as first president of the organization that met in a room over the First National Bank offices.  meetings later were held in the dyers dry goods building at 107 south main.  in 1913, during the presidency of Frank Neal Drane, groundbreaking ceremonies were held for a building at the corner of fifth and twelfth streets, which was occupied by the YMCA until this structure was completed in 1968.

Many of Corsicana's prominent citizens and businessmen have been members of this YMCA.   In its objective to promote the physical and spiritual development of the young men of the town, the YMCA provided a swimming pool, gymnasium, jogging track, a large meeting room, and lodging.  In 1934, women were first allowed to use these facilities for two days a weed from 10 am until 9 pm.   Throughout its history, the YMCA has provided service and leadership to the city of Corsicana.  its particular concern for returning servicemen has been a source of pride from this significant organization. 

Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986

Stone Tablet at the foot of the Historical Marker

YMCA golden jubilee 1936

YMCA Centennial Y cav-1986
Officers W. P. McCammon - pres
O. L. Albritton - v pres
F. C. Paul - recd. sec
N Suttle Roberts -  treas
J. H. Sullivan - ch fin com
Pat H. Ramsey - gen sec

Golden Jubilee Com
Lowry Martin - ch
W. T. McElwee
Beauford Jester
Ted B. Ferguson

Tablet gift of Bee & Harrison

Location: 400 Oaklawn, Corsicana, Texas

 

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox