Prairie Grove Baptist Church
Emmett, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Religion Index || Community of Emmett || Photograph Index
 

.


Prairie Grove Baptist Church
Click on Photo for full size photograph
Note: The House on the left, behind the Church is the Hugh Embury McAfee Home
Photo submitted by Pat Talley

The Prairie Grove Baptist Church, located in Emmett,  was built in 1918.  Local members constructed the building with an approximate seating capacity of 275.  The floor slopes from the back toward the front, providing an excellent view of the pulpit from any church pew.  The tall ceilings and windows allow ventilation from a predominant southerly summer breeze.  The total cost of the building was $3,124.00

The church was organized in October of 1875, meeting in a log cabin by a grove of trees on a prairie in western Navarro County  The log cabin was replaced by a plank house, then a better house, and finally the building of 1918.  The grove of trees was gone by 1918, but the name Prairie Grove remained.

The dedication services were held June 27-30, 1918.  Participating in the program were Brothers W. C. Newburn, Ephraim Brevard Osborne, W. Z. Corbi, Rev. J. Andrew Watts, J. A. Cook, R. B. Key, C. A. Gilbert, Absalom Posey Ballew, H. A. Conway, James Campbell Osborne, L. C. Howell, James Franklin "Jim" Coxsey, James Thomas Stroder, and Bascomb Lycurgus "Kirk" Moore.

Kris K. Moore


Prairie Grove Baptist Church - 2000
Photo by Edward L. Williams

VIEW MORE PHOTOS OF CHURCH BUILDING

 


Photo by Edward L. Williams

 

See Also:

Biographies of Ministers and Elders


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox