Barry Community
Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Cities and Towns || Historical Marker & Dedication Program

Located in State Highway 22 and the St. Louis Southwestern Railway 10 miles northwest of Corsicana in Navarro County Texas. Named for Bryan Thomas Barry of Corsicana and Dallas, the original owner of at least 300 acres of land sold to early settlers at the site. In 1886 the town, which had a gin and a newly established post office in Taylor's General Store, was located a mile south of its present site. When the railroad completed a line between Corsicana and Hillsboro in 1888, residents of Barry moved the town to the tracks. E. W. Miller was the first postmaster in 1904. The first public school was opened in 1896 and by 1906 it had two teachers and an enrollment of 127 pupils. In 1914 the community had 400 residents, and numerous businesses. In 1958 the Barry school district was combined with that of Blooming Grove.  Mr. J. L. Cox was Barry Superintendent at the time. The population of Barry in 1990 was 175.  

See Also:


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox