Named for Champion Chatfield, an Indian trader, this community is located north of Corsicana in
Navarro County Texas. Perhaps its greatest booster was Capt. Robert Hodge, who moved there in 1852. He was joined by the Herveys, Jeffers, Scoggins,
Claytons, Sands and Fortsons. In its heyday, the town had a private school, mills, stores and a blacksmith shop operated by B. F. Lisman, who became widely
known for his craftsmanship of sabers during the War. Later residents included the Thorps, Witherspoons, McMullans, Merediths, McCants and Mizells. During the
Civil War the post office was called "Muskete" and changed to
Chatfield in 1867.