DAWSON STUDY CLUB
Historical reflections by
Mrs. John Lee McCulloch
It was in the year of 1924 that a group of ladies of the
Town of Dawson, Texas felt that the time had come for them to pull away from
the drudgery of house work and do a bit of intensive study if they were to keep
abreast of the times. Each one could
read and improve her mind at home, she knew, but collective study could be fun
as well as work and the blending and exchanging of ideas could truly be
following the above thoughts into action, fifteen ladies met as what is now
Grahams Park and organized the 1924
Freddie Sims was Speaker of the House that afternoon and, under her guidance,
plans were made for the club.
from Roberts Rules of Order
for self, but for All”
for the year were elected:
President Mrs. W W Wolfe was unanimously elected
Vice President Mrs. J R Dickson
Recording Secty Mrs. J F Smith
Corresponding Secty Mrs. W E Anderson ??
Treasurer Mrs. C J Loveless
Parlimentarian Miss Freddie Sims
Reporter Mrs. F H Butler
members were to compose the club and the following ladies went down in history as….Charter Members of The 1924 Study
Anderson, Dawson, Smith, Wolfe, and Miss Freddie Sims composed the first
Program Committee and a miscellaneous program was chosen for study….subjects as
politics in Texas, home, hygiene, table service, patriotism, music, child
welfare, science….were included into
that first year.
wonderful party was held on the evening of June 1st in the home of Mr & Mrs D E McKinney,
husbands were guests and the game of “42” was the chief source of
entertainment, each person donned her best bib and tucker for this occasion,
and the McKinney home was gay with cut flowers and festive decorations.
year of study, work, and play was considered a profitable one and closed on May
21, 1925 with a picnic which was a most enjoyable affair with lots of fried
chicken and the children of club members as guests.
28, 1925 the Club again assembled for work in the home of Mrs. J R Dickson with
Mrs. J L McCulloch , Acting President.
S H Akers
J M Beasley
W T Boulware
N G Clark
Miss Winnie Matthews
joined our forces, and a few
resignations were accepted due to
illness, mourning, etc.
sculptors, poetry, forestry, immigration were a few subjects listed for
study. At the close of the year we
began to feel like an institution….. we were two years old and had come from
babyhood into childhood. Mrs G G Herrin,
President, and our membership consisted
of nineteen members…New members for the year 1926-1927 were….Mesdames:
E L Connor
J E Evans
M D Hatley
W M Nelson
evidently, sensed the coming of The Depression that year for the opening
program was on “The Tragedy of Waste.”
It might be well to repeat that
study in this advanced age of 1947 for in spite of the ravages of two wars,
American people are still wasteful.
ably and seriously Mesdames Boulware, Smith, Pullins, Nelson discussed such
Waste of production
Waste of consumption
Waster of advertising
Waste of natural resources
also, had a program on “”Modernism.”
Quite a treatise was given on the Modern Woman. One could, perhaps, do a bit of expanding
in this year of 1947.
Christmas Party was held in the home of Mr. & Mrs. W W Wolfe with Mrs
The year 1927-1928 Mrs. E B Dawson served as
President with such capable help as, Mesdames:
C W Matthews
W W Wolfe
S H Akers
J G Garner Miss Winnie Matthews has married J G Jim Garner
E L Connor
C J Loveless
was no change in membership that year.
However, Mesdames J F Smith, W M Nelson, and J R Dickson were absent for
many meetings due to the tact that Betty Ruth Smith, Margerey Ann Nelson, and
Betty Jane Dickson came to join their respective families and thereby increase
the population of Dawson.
J F Smith was President for the year 1928-1929. Mrs. F H Simpson, who had recently moved to
Dawson from Blooming Grove, accepted membership in our club, as was Mrs. Clyde
Sims and Mrs. Onle Griffin.
W C Roberts and F H Simpson were hostesses to the Xmas Party which was held
January 1st 1929.
club disbanded for one year. It was
reorganized in 1931 and at that time the name was changed from…The 1924 Study
Club….to……The Womans Study Club.
J E Davis was Presiding officer.
Mrs. G L Turner
Mrs. Roy Ponder
Mrs. Aura Garner
Mrs. Robert Hill
were added to the Club Membership.
Mrs. H C Filgo
Mrs. W E Walkup
Mrs. A W Hearne
Mrs A W Farmer ??????
Mrs G T Gooch.
years passed, our club grew and prospered, became more interesting. Looking over the rolls of 36-37 years we
M E Allen
Miss Stella Berry
were capable members of The Study Club.
lives were being touched, a greater feeling of oneness, and brotherhood…or
should I say “Sisterhood” was being established in Dawson.
year 1937-1938 brought us
Mrs. Velma Champion,
Mrs M A Royal.
Mrs. Carlos Berry
Mrs. Wayne Davis
Mrs R L Waller
Mrs. L J Grimell
Mrs. Virgil Davis
Mrs J P Magee
Miss Mildred Davis.l
8, 1941, a called meeting was held in the home of the President, Mrs. W M
Nelson to fill two vacancies.
Mrs. Henry Price
Miss Valley Roberts
were elected at that time.
we find appearing on our roll
Mrs. Ross Smith
Mrs C A Willis
Mrs Clarence Holt
Mrs. C M Newton Jr
Mrs Edwin Davis
Mrs L A Hamilton
Mrs. G A Burnam
Mrs. Frank Comer,
Mrs. Joe Pitts,
and our newest member
Mrs. (Bryant) Merrill.
check of our membership from year to year shows
there have been seventy-four (74) different ladies in our club.
can say with gratefulness and thankfulness that each one is still living. Some have withdrawn from the club and are
still living in Dawson.
other have moved away. We can find old
members in almost every section of the state, only one charter member remains
with the club.,
the period of time that is called a generation has passed since the club was
organized, naturally many changes have come about, there has been sadness and
disappointment of course, but as a whole the work has been pleasant and useful,
butThe Womens Study Club has had throughout the years a lofty ambition and has
worked unselfishly for the betterment of Dawson.
Club has been a chain that has drawn us very close together, each Club Member
being a link and each link a means of love, loyalty, and fellowship. The object of our Club has been to stimulate
intellectual growth and strength by individual effort by organization.
want to close by giving the beautiful collect that we have read so many times…
Keep us O God, from pettiness
Let us be large in Thought, in Word, in
Let us be done with Fault Finding and
leave off Self Seeking
May we put away all Pretense
And meet each other Face to Face
Without Self Pity and without Prejudice
May we never be Hasty in Judgment
Teach us to put into action our better
Straight forward and unafraid
Let us take time for all things.
Make us grow calm, serene, and gentle.
Grant that we may realize that it is the
That create differences
That in the big things of life we are as
And…may we strive to touch and to know
The great woman heart of us all, and…
Oh Lord, Let us not forget to be kind.
above was written in 1947 by Mrs. John Lee McCulloch Sr., nee Letha Sims. Letha Sims was born in Dawson in 1891 to
Frank Thad and Belle Sims. Her brothers
were William Gray Sims and Frank Thad Sims Jr.
Her paternal Grandfather was William Franklin Sims, born 1831, a half
brother of Margaret Adney Sims Matthews, Lucy Lou Sims, Gant Rufus Sims, Thomas
J Sims, A H Dugan Sims, and James Frederick Sims.
handwritten history was recently discovered in old family papers by Becky
Davis, Grand daughter of Letha Sims McCulloch, and daughter of John L McCulloch
Jr. Becky Davis resides in Houston,
S H Taught
Mary Hardin Baylor, husband farmer
M E Husband
managed Dawson Oil Mill late 1930s
J M Beasley’s Dry
Goods, sister of ????
Carlos Husband was
Post Master, Old Dawson family
taught at Spring Hill, moved to Corsicana
Miss Stella Sister of
Winfred Berry, teacher, moved to Denton
Winfred Husband was
farmer and rural mail carrier
W T Husband was
Edd Family may
have owned Bounds Chevrolet
F H Husband
was Editor of Dawson Herald, son Glenn
Velma nee Marguerite
Allard, daughter of C D Allard
N G Husband
managed Spencer Lumber Co
Frank Husband was farmer
Glen Husband was Pastor,
E L Store in
Dawson…moved to Waco, had shoe store
Edwin Nee Mary
E Davis Early
Dawson teacher, husband worked at bank
of Major Davis
E B Early school
teacher, husband worked at bank, son E B Jr
J R ???
Evans, J E ????
A W ????
H C Husband
McCulloch, dau. Jane, son James Henry
G T wife of Gaston
T Gooch, both school teachers
L J School
L A Physician????
Oliver Husband was a
M D Husband
owned “Tailor Shop” next to Sig Powell Barber Shop
A W ???? Owned Tailor shop???
G H Husband was
School Supt., son
of Dr. B W D Hill
C J Husband owned
Loveless Drug, died late 1920s
J P School
B F Husband owned
Carl Husband owned
Winnie later shown as
Mrs. J G Garner, Husband was grocer
D E Husband owned
automobile dealership…Edroy & Frances
J L Husband had
interest in McCulloch Gin
Bryant Husband was
W M Daughter of W
P Johnson, husband owned garage
C M Jr. Husband was 2nd
Generation Dawson banker
husband, owned The Green Hut
owned grocery store
was Methodist minister
W C nee Avis
Wright, husband worked for W W Wolfe
M A Mother of
Mrs. Paul Potts
was grocer, partnership with Jim Garner
F H Husband was a
banker from Blooming Grove
J F Husband
worked at Bank, old Dawson family
was Methodist minister
C C Husband was
cotton buyer, real estate investor
G L Husband was
W E Husband died
in 1920s, owned “Tin Shop”
R L Miss Noble
who married Ray Waller, both teachers
C A Husband
WW Husband was owner Wolfe Hdwe & Funeral Home
N A Teacher,…Husband was Presbyterian minister, Bible
A B Husband
was Dawson physician for many years
Miss Mildred Daughter of Guy
Davis, sister of Edwin Davis
Miss Valley Lived
with her Father. Mose Roberts
Miss Freddie Teacher,
Married Robert E Robinson 1954