Providence Community
Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Cities and Towns

 

Located just off U.S. Highway 287 three miles west of Eureka in Navarro County Texas.  Providence was probably established before 1900 and was named for an early local church. A school was in operation there by the early 1900s, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of forty-three. In the mid 1930s the small community comprised the school, a store, a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II the store was closed, and the school was consolidated with that of Mildred. In the mid 1960s all that remained at the site was a church, a cemetery, and a few widely scattered houses.


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox