Located on Farm Road 55, three miles south of State Highway 31,
fourteen miles southwest of Corsicana in
Navarro County Texas. It was originally known as
and was little more than a school and a church, for which the original settler,
Capt. J. A. Harrison, was largely responsible. In 1882 the St. Louis
Southwestern Railway, also known as the Cotton Belt, came through the area, and
lots were laid out for the town. Credit for the name of Purdon is given to a
railroad man named Harris, who was attracted to a Miss Ada Purdom, a cashier at
the store where he bought supplies. By an inadvertent spelling mistake at the
general office, the town became Purdon. A post office was established in 1881.
The first school in the town itself was held in an old seed house that also
doubled as a church for a time. The town experienced moderate growth during the
remainder of the nineteenth century. Its population was close to eighty in 1896.
By 1914 the population was at its peak of 400, and the town had a brick
schoolhouse, several stores, a lumberyard, two gins, and a bank. By 1958 the
population had dropped to 200. From 1977 to 1990 the population was 133.
- Elevation 397 ft.; Location is 31°56'56"N 96°36'59"W; Zip Code: