RETREAT, TEXAS. Retreat was on Farm Road 709 just south of
Corsicana in south central Navarro County.
The site was settled in the 1840s and originally known as Beeman's School House.
For many years the log school building, which was also used as a church, was the
only church or school in the area. As a result of shifting population, the
building was moved more than once. When someone consequently suggested calling
the settlement Retreat, the name struck. A public school was in operation by
1900, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of fifty. In the mid-1930s Retreat had a
store, a gin, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War IIqv
the store closed, but the population in recent years has increased because of
the community's proximity to Corsicana. In the mid-1960s the estimated
population was 100; by 1990 it had grown to 334. Most of the residents worked in
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County
(Dallas: Southwestern, 1933). Wyvonne Putman, comp., Navarro County History
(4 vols., Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975-84). Alva
Taylor, History and
Photographs of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev.
ed., Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962).
"RETREAT, TX." The Handbook of Texas Online.
Note: Some early settlers were the Beemans, Hamiltons,
Simmons, Comperes, Martins, McElwees and Hammonds.