|INGRAM, ANDERSON (1799?-?). Anderson Ingram (Ingraham), largest slaveholder
in Navarro County on the eve of the Civil War,qv
was born in Georgia around 1799. He and his three brothers, Washington, Hugh,
and James, settled in eastern Navarro County around 1850. The Ingram brothers
purchased thousands of acres along the Trinity River and together with several
other families established a settlement that they called Rural
Shade. In 1860 Ingram owned 29,740 acres and 126 slaves and produced 382
bales of cotton. He and his wife, Sarah, had four children.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Randolph B. Campbell, An Empire for Slavery: The Peculiar
Institution in Texas, 1821-1865 (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University
Press, 1989). Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas:
Southwestern, 1933). Wyvonne Putman, comp., Navarro County History (5
vols., Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975-84). Ralph A. Wooster, "Notes on Texas'
Largest Slaveholders, 1860," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 65
ANDERSON." The Handbook of Texas Online.