BEHIND THE STONES
Dawson Cemetery, Dawson, Texas
of Mary Burleson
Co E 7th
Texas Cav. CSA
Kirgan was first found as an enlistee into the Army of the
Confederacy. He enlisted at Rusk, Texas in 1861 as a First Sergeant
(shown also as private) and was assigned to Company E….Seventh Texas
Mounted Cavalry. The company commander was Capt. Dr. William L
Kirksey. Kirgan was thirty-one…Dr Kirksey was thirty-two.
other names appeared in the ranks of Company E that appeared years
later in Western Navarro County, Texas.
records that Trinity Co Texas was heavily divided on the issue of
seceding. Many of the citizens were Union sympathizers and it was
said that the desertion rate of enlistees from that area was high.
E M L
Kirgan…born in Greene Co Illinois…enlisted at Cold Springs, Texas in
1861, but deserted in East Tennessee in November 1862. He took the
Union oath in December of that same year.
Kirgan, born 1803, married Nancy Duff Williams in Rockingham Co. VA
and settled at Burkesville KY. Their son, Joseph McDonald Kirgan,
, deserted from the CSA Kentucky Infantry. He, later, changed his
name to Joseph Carrigan.
Kirgan lived in Kentucky in 1818, but migrated to Illinois in 1832
and purchased land in Green Co Illinois in 1835. Martha Kirgan
married William H Smith in St Claire Co Illinois. The two families
were found in the 1850 Cherokee Co Texas census.
Kirgan was, probably, a son Albert & Mary Kirgan who migrated to
Texas from Greene Co Illinois and settled in Trinity Co Texas.
Both were buried in Cherokee Co….in 1907 and 1932 respectively.
apparently, did not serve throughout the war. The Marshall
(Texas) REPUBLICAN printed in 1863 that “J A Kirgan” was publisher
of a newly organized newspaper at Crockett, Texas….and wished him
was located in the town of Livingston, Polk Co. Texas serving as
Postmaster for a brief period between December 1867 and June
1868. Arthur Kirgan and Mrs Mary Kirgan had served previously in
Kirgan does not surface until the late 1880s when he was found in
Milford, Ellis Co. Texas. He was editor and publisher of THE
MILFORD GASETTE, a newspaper that ceased publication by December
Kirgan began a newspaper in Dawson, Texas after 1890…THE DAWSON
TIMES. He would have been sixty years of age at the time.
edition,….Saturday, October 24, 1898 exists. The largest story,
apparently written by the editor, concerns the break up of the
Williams Eldorado Ranch which was located immediately south of
Dawson. The article describes the north boundary of the 18,000
acre ranch to be six miles long and parallel to the railroad.
Information and prices could be obtained from Col. Williams in
brought him to Dawson?
contact may have been James Alexander Tullos who, at age eighteen,
had served in Compan E during the Civil War. J A Tullos married
twice…first to Cornelia Priut, and second, to Lila Bell
Culberson. He was a son of Alfred Tullos. J A Tullos is
buried at the Frost Cemetery.
contact was, probably, Dr. William H Kirksey, whose uncle, Dr.
William L Kirksey, had been company commander of Company E. Dr
Kinsey had come to Dawson between 1880, when he was listed in the
census of Talladega Co MS, and 1883…when his wife Amanda Groce was
buried in theDawson Cemetery.
Sarah Kirksey, daughter of Dr Kirksey, married John H Dalton
Westmoreland, son of one of Dawson’s early school teachers. He
operated a clothing store in Dawson and served as Dawson Justice of
the Peace for many years. Their daughter, Carrie Mae
Westmoreland, married Clarence Holt. Many will remember their
children…Adlena, Mary Dalton, and Claude L.
this….is….The Story Behind the Stone
Sept 16, 2005
Tanner emailed the missing information on the marker…thanks.