Dr. Ollie Howell Parker
of Navarro County, Texas


Biography Index


From the Family Website

Dr.Ollie Howell3 Parker was born in Bazette, Navarro Co, TX September 8, 1872. Dr. Ollie died July 12, 1935 in Custer City, Custer Co, OK, at 62 years of age. His body was interred in Custer Co, OK.

He married Beatrice LeGrand June 11, 1900 in Graham, Young Co, TX. Beatrice was born March 18, 1879 in Young Co, TX. Beatrice was the daughter of Dr. George Henry LeGrand and Elizabeth Tanner. Beatrice died June 10, 1939 in Hereford, Deaf Smith Co, TX, at 60 years of age. She was baptized in Baptist Church. Beatrice was divorced from Dr.Ollie Howell Parker.

He was baptized in Christian Church. Dr.Ollie graduated in Ft Worth Med. Col. Dr. Ollie was employed at as a Physician Gen Pr. Dr. Ollie was divorced from Beatrice LeGrand.  He was listed as a resident in the census report June 12, 1880 in Navarro Co, TX. The town of Bazette, in Navarro County, where O. H. was born, was at Bazette Bluffs. This was along the west bank of the Trinity River, north of the present village of Kerens. Bazette is no longer listed as a town, but there remains a Bazette cemetary in the vicinity. Ollie Howell and his brother Winston W. (Wink) Parker both went to Fort Worth Medical College to become M.D's. Ollie Howell made the run into Oklahoma when this territory was opened up, and staked a claim in Roger Mills County, which is still in the family, other heirs having sold their interest to his son Harold. He established his practice in Custer City, Oklahoma, along with his brother. They later decided there was not enough need for both in Custer, so he stayed in Custer, and his brother went to Thomas, a few miles away. An interesting event was told by Dr. O.H.'s daughter, Eva Jo Parker. The story related the great similarity in the appearance of the two brothers, so much alike that it was difficult to tell one from the other, though they were not twins. They were both inclined to play practical jokes upon the other, and on one occasion when Dr. O.H. had to be absent from his practice, Dr."Wink" covered for him. One of O.H.'s patients chose this time to deliver her child, the thirteenth in the family. When brother Wink had completed the delivery, he told the proud father that he always delivered the thirteenth child free, and so the couple owed nothing for the doctor's services for the delivery. Needless to say, O.H. was quite angry with his brother for a short time, but did laugh in amusement later when he retold the story. In "History of Custer City" written by Velma B. Clark, it is stated that Custer City is located at the highest point on the western division of the Frisco track, which may have had something to do with the selection of the site. Shortly after founding of the city, the population expanded to over two thousand people, with several hotels and boarding houses. The first of the hotels, the Pickens Hotel, a frame structure on South Main, was later purchased and then converted into a residence by Dr. O. H. Parker. The large number of bedrooms were very handy, for living with him in the house were his daughter Louise and her husband and children, and for awhile, he also had living with him the two children of his daughter Eva Jo. Across the street from this residence, the circus occasionally set up, with the elephants hauling the heavy poles and other equipment around, to the delight of his grandchildren. Among the pictures in the information about Custer City's early days, was one of the "Parker Hotel", a brick building. According to daughter Eva Jo, this was built by Drs. O.H. and Wink for their brother "Dry Hole" Parker. According to her story, "Dry-Hole" always showed up wherever his two other brothers happened to be, and so profited in some manner from their success. Dr. O. H. Parker was a highly respected member of the community, and was very active in various organizations operating for the betterment of it's citizens. In 1911, he was a member of the City Council when an election was held for a bond issue to finance the building of a modern water and electric system, and was supporter and member of the Christian Church. At one time, he served as Mayor of the town, and was a church leader in singing and teaching. A milk cow was kept in the barn behind his house, along with his single-seat tan Chevrolet coupe in which he made his rounds. Next to the barn was the outhouse, as he did not have a commode in the main building. During the great depression, many of his patients were unable to pay cash for medical services, and so gave him whatever they had available, such as chickens or hogs in lieu of the money owed. The Hogs were butchered and the meat cut into small chunks and cooked down to render the fat. It was then put up in large jars, and the melted hog lard poured over it until the jar was full. The jars were then stored in the bottom section of the cabinet, the coolest spot possible. The meat kept quite some time in this manner until it was consumed or became rancid. He enjoyed cooking pancakes each morning, and kept a stoneware pitcher full of batter in the icebox from which he would pour the mixture into a skillet on the wood and coal burning stove in the kitchen. The icebox was not an electric refrigerator, but was an insulated wooden cabinet, with a compartment on top for the ice man to fill, and with a tray underneath for the melted ice water to drain. There was no city running water in the house, but was obtained either from a tank cistern, or one dug in the ground which was lined with brickwork. The cistern was filled by the rainfall saved from the roof, which first went into the metal tank after being filtered through charcoal, with the overflow going into the one in the ground. Water was first taken from the tank until it was empty, and then pumped from the deep cistern. Baths were taken in a wash tub on the kitchen floor, with the water heated in a kettle. The grandchildren were then given baths each Saturday, whether they needed it or not, and this compiler usually had the "honor" of the last bath water. He would occasionally take his grandson John with him on his house visits, described as follows: "Once-in-awhile he would let me go with him to see his patients, many of whom lived way out in the country. Sometimes I could watch as he checked them and thumped around and listened with his stethoscope. Various medicines were carried in his black satchel, including some of his special blue and pink pills among the bottles in the little bag. These particular pills were for those whose illnesses were mostly imaginary. For these people he would give the blue pills until they no longer did the job, and then he would switch to the pink ones. If I was good and behaved myself on these trips, he would let me have my pick of either color. Of course, these were simply sugar pills, and it is surprising how many patients were helped by this prescription." He continued to take care of his patients and lived in Custer City until his death caused by a heart attack. Shortly before he died, his wife Beatrice, from whom he was divorced, came to his bedside from her home in Hereford, Texas. She promised him that if he would recover from his illness and not die she would return to him. It was apparent that though she had parted from him, they actually still cared deeply for each other. Recovering from his illness was not to be, however, but at least he left this world a happier man than might have been the case.

Dr.Ollie Howell Parker and Beatrice LeGrand had the following children:

1) Eva Jo Parker was born in Graham, Young Co, TX June 30, 1902. Eva died October 11, 1991 in San_Antonio, Bexar Co, TX, at 89 years of age.

She married five times. She married Walter John McBurney August 21, 1920 in Boulder, Col. Walter was born March 9, 1897 in Near Thomas, Custer Co, OK. Walter was the son of George Washington McBurney and Frances Zeleika Steele. Walter died October 25, 1993 in Jennings, Jeff Davis Par, LA, at 96 years of age. His body was interred October 27, 1993 in Evangeline, Acadia Par, LA. Walter was employed at as a Oil refining. Walter was divorced from Eva Jo Parker circa 1925. Walter graduated in Kansas U, Lawrence, KS 1926. She married Thomas Allpress circa 1930. Thomas was born in Nebraska. Thomas was divorced from Eva Jo Parker circa 1941. She married Joe Chapa circa 1942 in San Antonio, Bexar Co, TX. Joe was employed. Joe was divorced from Eva Jo Parker in TX. She married Chris Emmett circa 1945. Chris was employed. Chris was divorced from Eva Jo Parker circa 1950. She married Paul Hartig circa 1955. Paul is deceased.

Eva was divorced from Joe Chapa in TX. Eva was divorced from Walter John McBurney circa 1925. Eva was divorced from Thomas Allpress circa 1941. Eva was divorced from Chris Emmett circa 1950.

Eva Jo was a concert pianist, and was a child prodigy, learning to play the piano before starting school, having been taught the fundamentals by her father, who like his own mother, was musically inclined. She married Walter McBurney while they were attending the University of Kansas at Lawrence. She produced her own home talent Chautauquas until going to work for the largest Chautuaqua chain in the country, the Franklin group. She was a highly successful booking agent for this concern. She then performed at the piano with the violinist Thomas Allpress, who later became her second husband. After moving to San Antonio with Allpress, she taught piano for many years, and among her many achievements, she was the founder of the San Antonio Chamber Music Society. She received the key to the city in recognition of her efforts toward furthering the cultural aspects of the city. A member of ASCAP, she was a composer as well as teacher, and during the time in San Antonio, she was active in performances of the operetta of the City. She was active in many civic and cultural organizations, where she served in any capacity needed. Along with her other interests, she belonged to the Huguenot Society and the DAR. After the death of her last husband, she moved to Nashville, Tennessee, where she remained active in the music business. Later, she wanted to be in her native state of Texas, and so moved back to San Antonio. She was also a student at the University of Texas, S.A., until her activities were curtailed due to a heart bypass operation, and then later a heart attack shortly before her birthday in 1988. She resumed her studies at the University, but again had to drop out in early 1990, to have artery bypass surgery in her leg, due to lack of circulation as a result of her diabetic condition. This procedure did not accomplish the desired result, and she had her left leg amputated several inches below the knee. She was in good spirits after the surgery in early October of 1991, and was looking forward to getting out of the hospital and resuming her active career. However, she suffered a sudden embolism, and died in the Methodist Hospital in San Antonio.

2) Fay Parker was born in Grimes, OK August 30, 1904. Fay died August 13, 1981 in Oklahoma City, OK, at 76 years of age.

3) Louise Parker was born in Kaufman, Kaufman Co, TX March 21, 1906. Louise died in Oklahoma City, OK. She married twice. She married Marion Hull. Marion is deceased. Marion was employed. She married Arvo Hantula. Arvo is deceased. Arvo was employed.

 4) Oliver Harold Parker was born in Custer City, Custer Co, OK December 13, 1910. He married Mattie Olieve Craddock July 31, 1928 in Custer Co, OK. Mattie was born July 25, 1910 in Custer Co, OK. Mattie is the daughter of Edgar A. Craddock and Gertrude Jinnette. Mattie was divorced from Oliver Harold Parker 1968.

Oliver was divorced from Mattie Olieve Craddock 1968. He resides in Union City, Tenn February 16, 1989.


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox