The Fortson Family
Historical Marker
Corsicana, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers

 


Photo submitted by Dana Stubbs

 

THE FORTSON FAMILY

Members of the Fortson family came to Texas from Mississippi and settled in Navarro County in the 1840s. Civil War veteran James T. Fortson wed Ida Clayton, Daughter of another pioneer area family, in 1867, and they moved to the Rice area in 1872. Their son, Joseph Benjamin (Joe B.), and his wife Lyda built their home at this site in 1904. Je B. and Brother John acquired large landholdings in the area for farming and ranching, and established a cotton gin operation and a mercantile. They also opened the First State Bank of Rice and Began levee improvement districts to aid local farming.   In addition, Joe B. served on the school board. The family is remembered for its lasting contributions to the area's history

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission

 

 


Photo submitted by Dana Stubbs


 


Photo submitted by Dana Stubbs

 


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright February, 2020
Edward L. Williams