Obituaries from
Navarro County, Texas



Ethe Coren Carter
May 5, 1919 - Apr 17, 1920

Death of Infant Girl.

Ethel Corinne, the one-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. H. Carter, died at their home 212 East Third Avenue Saturday afternoon after one week�s illness, and the remains were interred in Oakwood yesterday afternoon at 3 o'clock.


Thomas Jeremiah Akins
Apr 29, 1871 - Jun 20, 1920

Died in Terrell This Morning.

T. J. Akins, aged forty-eight years, died in Terrell this morning and the remains will be interred here tomorrow. The deceased was a brother of Mrs. M. Bryant of the Phillips Chapel community. He is also survived by three children, Mrs. John Hicks and Ed Akins of Fort Worth and Mrs. Jesse Copeland of Denison.



Remains Were Interred Today.

The remains of the late T. J. Akins, who died at Terrell Tuesday, reached here last night and the funeral took place from the Southerland Undertaking parlors at 4 o'clock this afternoon the Odd Fellows lodge officiating.


Reginald Jones
Jan 15, 1901 - Mar 4, 1920

Died at the P. and S. Hospital

Reginald Jones, aged nineteen years, died at the P. and S. hospital last night of pneumonia, and the remains were interred this afternoon at 5 o'clock in Oakwood, Rev. B. W. Vining officiating. The deceased is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Jones of Kirven and several brothers and sisters.


Laura Mae Jones
Jun 22, 1900 - Sep 26, 1920

Young Lady Died Yesterday.

Miss Laura May Jones, aged twenty years, daughter of J. W. Jones died at the family home on North Nineteenth street, just west of Oakwood cemetery at an early hour yesterday morning after a long illness with tuberculosis and the remains were interred in Oakwood at 6 o'clock yesterday afternoon, Rev. E. C. Ruth officiating.


Albert Bunert, Jr.
May 18, 1865 - Oct 27, 1920


Remains Will Be Interred Here Tomorrow Afternoon.

Albert Bunert, for many years a citizen of Corsicana, died at 9 o'clock last night in Austin, where he had been under treatment for two or three years. The remains will reach here tonight and the funeral will take place from the home of the deceased, 2116 East Seventh Avenue, at 2:30 tomorrow afternoon, with interment in Oakwood, and services conducted by the Masons. The deceased is survived by his wife and three sisters, Mrs. Emil Frey, Mrs. Mary Casey and Miss Bertha Bunert. The deceased was from boyhood a resident of Corsicana and had many friends who are pained at his passing away.


  • The Corsicana Daily Sun - Thursday, October 28, 1920
  • Submitted by Diane Richards
  • h/o Frances �Fannie� (Cofield) Bunert married Feb. 14, 1909; s/o Albert Bunert, Sr. & Bertha (Deadlisbauh) Bunert

Bertha Bunert
Jan 15, 1869 - Jul 29, 1971


One of Corsicana�s oldest residents, Miss Berth Bunert, 102, died Thursday morning at Paulyne�s Convalescent Home. A native of Toledo, Ohio, she had lived in Corsicana for most of her life and was a member of St. John�s Episcopal Church.

Funeral arrangements are pending at Corley Funeral Home.

Miss Bunert is survived by four nephews, Albert W. Frey and Edward E. Kuesel of Corsicana, Emil Frey of Chicago and Charles Frey of Dallas; two nieces, Mrs. Marjorie Whistler of Chicago and Mrs. Imogene Mae Gieling of San Francisco; and several cousins.


Frances �Fannie� (Cofield) Bunert
Sep 7, 1886 - Aug 25, 1966

Mrs. Bunert Dies Thursday

Mrs. Frances Bunert, long-time Corsicana resident, 308 South Thirtieth street, died in Memorial hospital early Thursday morning following several years illness.

Arrangements were incomplete at Corley Funeral Home early Thursday afternoon pending the arrival of relatives.

Survivors include two cousins, Mrs. Dan P. Doyle, Galveston, and Dr. Wm. H. Teague, Fort Worth.


Mary Elizabeth (Sawyer) Hill
Jun 19, 1860 - Apr 12, 1959

Mrs. E. L. Hill, 90, Buried Monday

Funeral services for Mrs. E. L. Hill, 98, who died in a Temple hospital Sunday morning, were held Monday at 2:30 p.m. from the First Methodist Church in Dawson. Burial was in the Dawson cemetery.

The rites were conducted by Rev. Stanley Williams, Methodist pastor at Temple, and Rev. W. L. Milner, pastor.

Mrs. Hill lived in Dawson most of her life, moving to Temple 10 years ago.

Surviving are two sons, B. W. Hill, Dawson, and J. D. Hill, Houston; a daughter, Mrs. G. O. Allesandro, Temple, and 13 grandchildren and a number of great-grandchildren, great-great grandchildren and other relatives.

James Franklin �Frank� Estes
Sep 24, 1849 - Dec 25, 1919


Funeral From the First Methodist Church this Morning.

J. F. Estes died at the P. and S. hospital at 11:30 yesterday morning after a long illness of Bright�s Disease, and the funeral took place from the First Methodist Church at 10:30 this morning, Rev. C. H. Booth officiating.

The deceased, who came to Texas from Alabama in 1869, was 73 years of age, and lived for a number of years in the Eureka community. Near twenty years ago he moved to Roane, and had been postmaster there from near that time, to the day of his death. He was of a jovial nature and was highly esteemed by all who knew him, and leaves behind him the record of a life well spent. He is survived by his widow and these children: John Estes, James Estes and E. P. Estes of Roane, Will Estes and Mrs. Curry Kyser of San Benito, Mrs. Chap Albritton of Powell and Mrs. John Bryant of Roane; and one brother, William Estes of Fort Worth.

The following were pall bearers; T. P. Little, W. M. Huggins, O. E. Hyndman, Sam Mitchell, Ben Fortson and J. A. Thompson.

A large procession followed the body to the grave and there were numerous floral offerings.



In Memoriam.

Mr. J. F. Estes was born September 24, 1849 in Alabama and died Dec. 25, 1919 at the P. and S. hospital in Corsicana, Texas of pneumonia and other complications. He came to Navarro County in 1867, so he was one of our old pioneer settlers that faced all kinds of hardships and helped to make our county what it is today. He was married to Miss Elizabeth Roots almost forty-nine years ago. To this union was born nine children, six boys and three girls. He is survived by his wife and seven children, two boys having died several years ago. Mr. Estes was a well read, deep thinking man. His place in our town will be hard to fill and it can never be filled in his home. I visited his home since his departure and how I did miss him. His wife is so lonely without him. He was a member of the M. E. Church at Roane, and it has lost a true and faithful member. He was engaged in farming and mercantile business, was also postmaster at Roane where he had lived for more than twenty years. He was of a jovial disposition and was loved and respected by everyone. He was successful in business and left some earthly goods to his wife and children, but best of all he has left something for you to treasure more than gold; that of a good name and that people can say your father was a Christian gentleman is something you should ever cherish.

Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Booth at the First Methodist church in Corsicana. His body was then laid to rest in Oakwood cemetery to await the resurrection when we shall see him again. I extend my tenderest sympathies to his wife and children and while he can not come back to you, if you put your trust in God you can go to him and can be a united family around the throne of God.

The pains of death are past,
Labor and sorrow cease;
And life�s long warfare closed at last,
His soul is found in peace,
Soldier of Christ, well done;
Praise be thy employ
And while eternal ages run
Rest in thy Savior�s joy.

Why should our tears in sorrow flow
When God recalls His own
And bids them leave this world of woe
For an immortal crown?
Is not e�en death a gain to those
Whose life to God was given?
Gladly to earth their eyes they close
To open them in Heaven.

His toils are past, his work is done,
And he is fully blest;
He fought the fight, the victory won
And entered into rest.
Then let our sorrows cease to flow
God had recalled his own,
But let our hearts in every woe
Still say �Thy will be done.�



Randall Cooksey
abt 1901 - Jan. 17, 1920


Stricken With Meningitis.

Mr. and Mrs. Dr. Cooksey received a message Wednesday advising that their son Randal who is attending Leland-Stanford University in California, had been stricken with meningitis. Dr. Cooksey left for that point last night and today Mrs. Cooksey received another message advising that Randal was showing some improvement.



Condition Improved

Word received by Mrs. J. B. Cooksey from Dr. J. B. Cooksey says that their son Randall, who has been in a very dangerous condition with meningitis at Leland-Stanford, is greatly improved and was able to converse with his father, asking after the various members of the family.



Mrs. J. B. Cooksey received a letter today from her husband, Dr. J. B. Cooksey, who is at the bedside of their son, Randall Cooksey, in California, in which it was stated that Randall was doing as well as could be expected.




Corsicana Boy Passed Away While in School There.

Randall Cooksey, who was nineteen years old on the third day of this month, son of Dr. and Mrs. J. B. Cooksey of Corsicana, and one of the most popular boys of the city, died at the Leland Stanford University in California Saturday night, at 11:20 o'clock after several days illness. Dr. Cooksey was with his son when the end came, and on yesterday Mrs. Cooksey received a message from him saying that he had left with the body and would wire her again when he reached Houston.

Randall was practically reared in Corsicana, and was loved by a large circle of friends who sympathize with his parents in the great bereavement that has come to them.

Robert Cooksey, a brother of Randall, who is in school in New York has started home.



Expected Funeral Arrangement�s To Be Announced in Thursday�s Sun

Mrs. Cooksey has not heard from Dr. Cooksey since he left California with the body of his son, Randall, who died while attending Leland-Stanford College. She however expects Dr. Cooksey�s arrival with the body tomorrow if railroad connections are made. After the arrival of the body the funeral arrangements will be made and announced.

Robert Cooksey, a brother of Randall, reached home this morning from Poughkeepsie, N. Y., where he had been attending business college.




Remains of Randall Cooksey Reach Here From California.

Dr. J. B. Cooksey, who was called to California last week by the illness and subsequent death of his 19-year-old son Randall Cooksey, reached here this morning at 6 o'clock over the Houston and Texas Central railroad with the remains and the funeral will take place from the family home, 501 West Third Avenue, tomorrow afternoon at 3:30. The funeral services will be conducted by Rev. Ilion T. Jones, pastor of the Third Avenue Presbyterian Church, and the active pall bearers will be Hubert Brasselton, John Brasselton, Douglas Dechard, Loyd Thomas, Ben Dave Allen and Robt. Cooksey. Mrs. Cooksey, mother of the deceased, requests that as many of Randall�s friends and class mates who can, be there to act as honorary pall bearers.

Randall was a bright and promising young man and was exceedingly popular with his associates, and his untimely death has caused a gloom over many a young, as well as older life, that will not soon be dispelled and hundreds sympathize with his parents and two brothers in the deep sorrow that has come to them.



Funeral Took Place This Afternoon.

The remains of the late Randall Cooksey were interred in Oakwood this afternoon after funeral services at the home at 3:30, conducted by Revs. Ilion T. Jones, C. H. Booth, Charles Oberschmidt and H. J. Ellis. The services were largely attended and there were many beautiful floral offerings sent in loving memory of this bright and lovable young man by the friends who knew and loved him in life.



The schools are in deepest sympathy with the family of Dr. and Mrs. J. B. Cooksey in this their second great bereavement within a few months. Randle Cooksey was one of the most popular boys we have had had in the high school in many years. He possessed those fine characteristics of young manhood, integrity, energy, enthusiasm, optimism, courage, independence, ambition, a quick mind, an ardent and sympathetic nature, which drew him very close to all who knew him. His parents rightly had splendid dreams of his possibilities for the future, and their dreams were in s fair way to become true when the stern Reaper who spares not the brightest and the best cut him down on the very threshold of life.

There is an adequate human word of comfort in such a bitter hour; but if the consciousness of wide friendship and cordial esteem can give any sure ease of sorrow, there should be come comfort in the knowledge of how highly he was regarded by his teachers, classmates and school friends.




Fletcher Ballew in Letter to His Mother Praises Friend

The following tribute by a schoolmate to Randall Cooksey is an excerpt about a letter from Fletcher Ballew to his mother:

Dear Mother:

Your letter received. I was surprised and grieved to hear of the death of Randall Cooksey.

Knowing him as I did, I had counted on his splendid constitution to pull him through. It is a shame that he had to go. He was clean and manly, upright and generous, intelligent and industrious, capable, moral, honest, square and loyal. A boy of ideal habits and morals, a thing hard to find these days. He certainly had the true makings of a noble manhood, fine citizen and leader of his fellowmen. The whole community has lost a valuable asset, with the death of this dear boy. He was one of the most lovable boys I have known. Poor Dr. and Mrs. Cooksey, I wonder how they can stand up under the double blow Fate has dealt them. It does not seem that God has been fair with them. To raise two fine boys as J. B. and Randall were, and then to have them cut down, just as they were entering manhood, is one of the most tragic things that Fate has ever dealt anyone. I certainly sympathize with Dr. and Mrs. Cooksey with all my heart, and deplore the loss of those dear boys who were my true friends. It does not seem possible that these two boys, whom I played with as a child and run with as a youth and schoolmate are no more. And yet it is true that my two friends and chums are dead. Some one has said:

�Console if you will, I can bear it,
�Tis a well meant alma of the breath
Yet all the preaching since Adam,
Has never made death other than death.�

And nothing certainly can be truer than the sentiment quoted. Express to Dr. and Mrs. Cooksey my sympathy for them, and my own sorrow over the death of my dear schoolmate and friend, Randall.


Laura A. (Davis) Walton
Dec 18, 1839 - Jun 3, 1920


Had Been a Resident Here Fifty-Four Years

Mrs. Laura Walton, aged 80 years, died at 7 o'clock this morning at the home of her son, C. C. Walton, and the funeral will take place from the home on West Fifth Avenue tomorrow afternoon at 3:30. Interment will be in Oakwood cemetery, and the services will be conducted by Rev. B. W. Vining.

The deceased was born in Buits County, Georgia in 1839, and came to Texas with her husband, the Late R. W. Walton in 1866, and had lived here continuously since then. She was the mother of two children, both boys, one of whom died in boyhood, and the other C. C. Walton, survives her. Her husband, who died a number of years ago, was justice of the peace here for twenty-two years.

The following are the pall bearers: Active, Red Bonner, Arthur Sutherland, John Sloan, Dude Ransom, J. W. Edens, T. W. Lovett. Honorary, A. L. Lotspiech, W. D. Nolen, Hugh Stone, Ron Sweatmon, Alf Milligan, Jack Johnston, Walter Hays, J. A. Thompson, R. B. Johnston, Dr. L. E. Kelton, W. A. Babb, A. Ferguson, Cleve Wilkerson, W. M. Wilson, Dr. J. A. Jones, R. F. Halbert, Rice; Odle Burke, N. J. Edens, D. R. Glover, N. F. Garrett, Richard Mays, F. B. Kenner, W. G. Baker, Byron Cheney, Tom Braselton, R. L. Hamilton.



Funeral Was Largely Attended

The remains of Mrs. Laura Walton were laid to rest in Oakwood cemetery this afternoon at 3:30 o'clock, the funeral taking place from the home of her son, C. C. Walton, on West Fifth avenue. The last sad rites were largely attended and there were many beautiful floral offerings.


Lee Roy Williams
Aug. 22, 1904 - May 13, 1920

In Memory of Our Darling.

On May the 13th the death angel made a sad call at the home of Mr. and Mrs. M. P. Williams and carried away their darling boy. Little Lee Roy leaves a dear father, mother and two sisters, and a host of relatives and friends to mourn his loss. The funeral was held at the home on East Third Avenue at 3 o'clock. The services were conducted by Rev. Howell, and the remains were laid to rest in Oakwood to await the glorious resurrection.

Yes, we are hoping for that meeting
Where his life of toil is o�er;
Where we share each other�s greeting
Where we meet to part no more.

Do not weep dear father, mother and sisters for God in His wisdom has recalled,
The boon his love hath given;
Although his earthly form is with us,
His soul is safe in Heaven.

We know it is hard to give our loved ones up,
But God had a place in Heaven,
That he wanted to complete,
So He took your darling Lee Roy
To fill the vacant seat.

We are proud to say that everything was done that could be done, but God saw best to take him from this world to a better home. Truly he was the idol of the home. He was so loving, kind and true to all and always had a kind word and cheerful smile for all who knew him.

Lee Roy was born Aug. 22, 1904, was raised to the age of 15 years, 8 months and 21 days. Although his stay on earth was short but long enough to entwine the tenderness of his sweet life about all who knew him.

How they will miss him, sadly miss him,
Since his sweet spirit soared away;
But this thought will gladden�
We shall meet him again some day.

Oh! Lee Roy how we miss you,
How our hearts throb and ache!
To know our dear one sleepeth,
No more in this world to wake.

But you saw the hand we could not see,
Which clasped your hand that way;
You heard the voice we could not hear,
Which would not let you stay.

Tis hard to break the tender chord,
Where love has bound the heart.
Tis hard, so hard, to speak the words
We must forever part.

Yet, again, we hope to meet him,
Where no farewell tears are shed;

There were many beautiful floral offerings. Dear ones, look to the Master in your hours of trouble. He is the only comforter. God giveth and God taketh away and the Lord sayeth �Grieve at thy birth and rejoice at thy death.�




In Loving Memory

On Thursday Morning at 2 o'clock May 13, 1920, the death angel visited the home of Mr. and Mrs. M. P. Williams and took away their darling boy, Lee Roy. He suffered awful pain and we all know that he suffered death many a time. Weep not dear parents and sisters, for God doeth all things well. But it was so sad to part with their darling boy. But we all must trust God and He will help us to bear our burdens, for His will must be done not ours.

Dear Lee Roy has gone to rest,
His voice no more we�ll hear,
Till we reach that land of blest;
Then we�ll see brother dear.

Oh ! how we miss his smiling face,
And loving tender care;
His home is now a lonely place,
No one to fill his chair.

Lee Roy has gone from earth to heaven,
To the shining courts above;
To dwell with Christ forever,
Where all is peace and love.

He was patient in his suffering,
Always cheerful, meek and mild;
Living day by day for Jesus,
He was truly God�s own child.

His parents hearts are sad and heavy
Since dear Lee Roy went away;
But oh ! he is so happy,
Where it�s one eternal day.

His mission here is finished,
�That�s enough, my child, well done
Come up higher� said the Master,
�Your home in heaven is won.�

Now friends let�s live for Jesus,
And meet Lee Roy over there,
Where all is peace and joy;
In that home so bright and fair.

We all hope some day to meet him.
In that happy home beyond the sky
For there is a glad day coming,
In the future time bye and bye.



James Calvin Wilson
Jan 13, 1843 - Nov 10, 1920

Died Here last Night.

James Wilson, aged 77 years, and resident here for a long time, died at 501 East Tenth Avenue last night, after a long illness. The remains will be interred in Oakwood tomorrow morning at 10 o'clock.


Mary Ella �Ellie� (Bryant) Littlefield
Aug 3, 1895 - Nov 24, 1919

In Memoriam.

Ellie Bryant was born August 3, 1893; was married to W. H. Littlefield, July 27, 1914; died November 24 (at 9:50 Monday night) in Dallas at the Baptist Sanitarium. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Mr. Booth at her mother�s home Wednesday, November 26th, 1919, interment in Oakwood.

Ellie was loved by all who knew her. She wore a smile and a kind word for everyone. She lead a Christian life from birth and was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Cryer Cree,. No one but her mother and God know how she suffered, but so good was she to never complain. So grieved are we, mother, brothers and sisters, but it is good to know that she is gone where there is no sorrow or pain. Are the tear drops falling from your eyes today? Let the hand of Jesus wipe them away. Be not sad or mournful. If you are sad today take your cares and cast them all away. We should not make the home sad with our tears and heartaches, lest we make others unhappy and dissatisfied. We can not forget Ellie. We do not wish to try, but we hope some day to meet her in the sweet bye-and-bye. The loved one that is gone is safe and at rest with our dear father that loved her so good. So let us only pray and be good to our dear broken-hearted mother, that we may all lead a clean life as Ellie and our father did and meet them in Heaven.

We wish to thank our dear friends for the loving words of sympathy and the many beautiful flowers. She leaves to grieve for her a mother, three brothers and four sisters.

Written by her broken-hearted sister,
313 S. 13th St., Corsicana, Texas.



Died in Dallas Yesterday.

The remains of the late Mrs. Ellie Littlefield wife of W. H. Littlefield who died in Dallas yesterday after a long illness, reached here last night and were taken to the home of Mrs. C. E. Bryant, mother of the deceased 403 South Sixteenth Street, and the funeral took place from there this morning at 10:30, Rev. C. H. Booth officiating. Many friends attended the last sad rites and there were many beautiful flowers.


A. M. Wilson
Dec 4, 1835 - Feb 15, 1920

Venerable Man Passes Away.

A. M. Wilson, aged eighty-four years, died at 503 East Eighth Avenue yesterday at 11:30 o'clock ant the remains were interred in Oakwood cemetery at 2 o'clock this afternoon. Rev. B. W. Vining officiating. The deceased is survived by a number of grown children.


Ephraim James Seagraves
Nov 19, 1849 - Feb 14, 1920


Was Many Years Ago A Resident of Corsicana

E. J. Seagraves, seventy-six years old, died in Teague yesterday and the remains were interred here today, the funeral taking place from the Union Station at 4:15 this afternoon, Elder M. C. Cuthberson of the Church of Christ officiating. The deceased was many years ago a resident of Corsicana, and for a long time was engineer at the ice plant. He was a brother of Andy K. Seagraves of Corsicana, and is survived by his wife and four children, Chas. Seagraves of Waxahachie; Odie Seagraves of Galveston, Mrs. J. C. Norris of Fort Worth and Miss Mabel Seagraves of Teague. A good number of friends met the remains at the Union Station and witnessed the last sad rites in Oakwood.


Hugh A. McPhaill
Jan 3, 1883 - Feb 15, 1920


Hugh A. McPhail Died in Tulsa, Okla., Last Night.

Hugh A. McPhail, a former resident here and a letter carrier of the Corsicana postoffice, died in Tulsa, Okla., last night of pneumonia. The deceased is survived by his mother, Mrs. Julia P. McPhail; a sister, Mrs. Luther Larrison and a brother, W. V. McPhail of Corsicana, and by a sister, Mrs. Cy Corder, of Dallas. The deceased had a host of friends here who will be pained to learn of his death.

Mrs. McPhail left last night to be with her son and she is expected to return with the body possibly by the Houston and Texas Central at 11:15 tomorrow. Before leaving Corsicana the deceased was for a long time the Secretary of the Sunday School at the First Methodist Church.




Remains of the Late Hugh McPhail Arrived From Tulsa Today.

The remains of Hugh A. McPhail, aged 32 years, who died in Tulsa, Okla., Sunday night arrived here this morning over the H. & T. C. at 11:15 o'clock and the funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon at 3 o'clock from the residence of his mother, Mrs. Julia P. McPhail, 1565 West Fourth avenue. The services will be conducted by the I. O. O. F. Lodge, and Rev. Cullom H. Booth, pastor of the First Methodist Church. The deceased is survived by his mother, Mrs. Julia P. McPhail; a brother, M. V. McPhail; a sister, Mrs. L. O. Larrison, all of Corsicana, and another sister, Mrs. Cy Corder, who resides in Dallas.

Following are the active pall bearers: Alva Little, Claude Barbazan, Percy Williams, Boyce Martin, A. L. Brooks, C. B. Haley, Jess Megarity, E. H. Powell.

Attention Odd Fellows.

You are commanded to meet at the Hall at 2 o'clock p.m. Wednesday, February 18th, for the purpose of attending the funeral of Bro Hugh McPhail.

J. C. MASON, N. G.
W. W. CLOPTON, Sec�y.




Remains of Highly Esteemed Young Man Laid to Rest in Oakwood

The funeral of the late Hugh A. McPhail took place this afternoon at 3 o'clock from the family home, 1565 West Fourth Avenue, and many friends attended and there were many beautiful flora offerings. The deceased grew to young manhood in Corsicana, was highly esteemed for his high moral character and manly life, and his death is sadly deplored by the whole community.


Lera Jean (Spencer) Wynne
Apr 8, 1926 - July 19, 2007

LERA JEAN SPENCER WYNNE, born April 8, 1926 in Rice, Texas, passed away on July 19, 2007 in Houston, Texas. She is survived by son, Rick Wynne, Jr. and wife, Kathy; daughters, Patty Wynne Leitzel and husband, Greg, and Judy Wynne Chappell and husband, Larry; granddaughters, Kristina, Rebecca, and Kimberly Wynne, and Tracy Chappell, and other family. Preceding her in death is her husband of 58 years, Richard L. Wynne, Sr. Jean was retired from Pate Engineers in 1991. She was a member of First United Methodist Church. A graveside service was held Saturday, July 21, 2007 in Memorial Oaks Cemetery, Houston, Texas. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Alzheimer's Association, Houston and Southeast Texas Chapter, 2242 West Holcombe Blvd., Houston, Texas 77030-2008.


Martha Anna (Ray) Riley
Feb 24, 1875 - Apr 3, 1919

Died Near Here Yesterday

Mrs. E. Riley, who lived North of Zion�s Rest, died yesterday after a long illness, and the remains were interred in Oakwood this afternoon at 3 o'clock. The deceased is survived by her husband and six grown children.


Pauline (Roberts) McConnell
May 17, 1897 - Feb 5, 1919


Remains of Mrs. Pauline Roberts McConnell Laid to Rest.

In Oakwood cemetery rest the remains of Mrs. Pauline Roberts McConnell, who died in Houston Wednesday night. In Corsicana she spent her childhood and happy school days. It was here that those who knew her best followed her remains to their final resting place. Her body reached Corsicana yesterday afternoon from Houston at 5 o'clock accompanied by Houston at 5 o'clock, accompanied by relatives and friends. A large number of Corsicana friends were at the station and followed the body to the cemetery where the last sad rites were held. Many flowers came with the body from Houston, attesting her popularity in the city of her adoption, and these were added to by numerous Corsicana friends, making a great profusion of flowers, showing that Corsicana�s heart beat in sympathy for the young woman whom they had known in childhood, and through the years in which she developed into beautiful womanhood with all its enthusiasm, happiness, hopes and aspirations.

At the cemetery there was a large gathering and Rev. Ilion T. Jones, pastor of the Third Avenue Presbyterian Church, conducted the funeral services. In perfect silence sympathetic men and women heard the earnest pastor as he read the scriptures�the comforting words of the Master, whose great heart is always tender and sympathetic. That scripture which likens the love of the heavenly father to that of the earthly father and which teaches us that God is a righteous, just and merciful God, was read as was also that which comforts us in these words: �Let not your hearts be troubled, ye believe in God, believe in me. In my Father�s house are many mansions; if it were not so I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.�

Eloquently the minister spoke of the mercifulness of God and comforting were his words to the hearts that beat in sympathy for the one whose body was about to be consigned to its final resting place. The words of the minister, the great profusion of flowers and the large attendance all spoke the tenderness of the hearts of Corsicana friends and the respect and sympathy they had for those whose grief is immeasurable.

Mrs. McConnell, or Pauline Roberts, as Corsicana knows and will always remember her, was married several months ago in Houston to Private Harold St. Clair McConnell, who went overseas, was wounded in action and invalided to Chicago where he was in a hospital when the news of his wife�s death reached him. He left the hospital for Houston at once, but became so weak while en route that he was forced to turn back. Private McConnell is of a splendid Illinois family and is a son of Senator McConnell of that State. Her father and mother attended the funeral as did other relatives. And with those relatives many hearts in Corsicana beat in tenderest sympathy for here Mrs. McConnell will always be remembered as a pretty, vivacious, attractive and gentle girl.

Rev. Mr. Jones was calm and showed deep earnestness and tenderness in all he said. �In this tragic hour,� he began, �our hearts are so sad and burdened that they almost refuse to permit words.� Pausing for a moment he continued;

�Did we know all the circumstances surrounding her death, did we know all the thoughts of her mind preceding her death, we might be able to speak words that would calm our minds and relieve our burdens.� A little later he said: �God knows what we have not the ability to know. If at any time in her life she had thoughts that turned her soul heavenward, God knows that and will take that into consideration. We may trust this life in God�s hands with the assurance that he will be the just merciful, loving father whom Jesus revealed to men.� He closed with this prayer:

�O, God give the comfort, the strength, the assurance, the hope, the peace which all our hearts need today to life from our lives the burden, to take away the shadow and to dispel the darkness.� Amen.�

Not among those present could there have been one but whose heart beat in sympathy with the minister�s prayer and it is equally safe to say that from the entire gathering went up a prayer for the one who so recently and when so young, had been called to enter that gloomy portal which some day must close upon all of us.




Mrs. Pauline Roberts McConnell Will Be Buried Here.

The funeral of Mrs. Pauline Roberts McConnell, aged 21, wife of Harold St. Clair McConnell, will be held from the H. & T. C. 5 o'clock train Sunday afternoon. Interment at Oakwood cemetery. Friends of the family are invited to attend.

Mrs. McConnell was Miss Pauline Roberts before her marriage and met a tragic death in Houston. She was married in Houston, Jan. 4, 1918, to McConnell, who was a member of the Thirty-Third Division, which trained at Camp Logan. McConnell went overseas, was wounded and invalided to the Chicago hospital.


  • The Corsicana Daily Sun - Friday, Feb 7, 1919
  • Submitted by Diane Richards
  • w/o Harold St. Clair McConnell married Jan. 14, 1918 d/o Thomas Hawkins Roberts (Death certificate says d/o T. H. Roberts and Trixie (McCurdy) Roberts, brother James Hawkins Roberts death certificate says s/o Nannie (Watson) Roberts�1910 Navarro county census says Nannie E. )

Emily (Johnson) Fitzgerald
Dec 15, 1882 - Jan 11, 1919

Died Here This Morning

Mrs. Emily Fitzgerald, wife of J. C. Fitzgerald, aged thirty-six years, died at 500 East Tenth Avenue at 7:45 this morning of influenza and pneumonia. Interment will take place in Oakwood at 2 o'clock tomorrow afternoon, Rev. C. H. Booth officiating.


William Augustus Champion
Apr 9, 1841 - Jul 24, 1919

Champion - Corsicana, Texas, July 25. - W. A. Champion, for more than twenty years a resident of Corsicana, died at his home here last night. He is survived by his wife and one son. He was born in Georgia in 1841 and came to Texas in 1872, settling in Houston County, where he taught school, first at Dalys and then at Grapeland, after which he moved to Crockett, where he resided for a number of years, holding the offices of Justice of the Peace and District Clerk for a total of twenty-three years. After coming to Corsicana, he engaged in the family grocery business for a short time, but at the time of his death was manager of the circulation department of the Daily Sun. He will be buried from his residence this evening at 4 o'clock.




Splendid and Popular Citizen of Corsicana Called to His Reward.

Mr. W. A. Champion died yesterday afternoon at 6:45 o'clock at his home, 1330 West Collin street, after a brief illness. He had been in declining health for quite a while but continued in the performance of his duties until the 16th instant, when he was taken sick after coming to town at the usual morning hour.

He is survived by his wife and one son.

The funeral services will be conducted from the residence this afternoon at 4 o'clock. Rev. Cullom H. Booth, pastor of the First Methodist Church, will conduct the services. Interment will be at Oakwood cemetery.

The pall bearers are as follows: Active�Lloyd Young, Roy Thompson, Tom Ransom, A. G. Elliott, Sid Story, Orville Hyndman. Honorary�T. P. Little, A. A. Wortham, E. L. Belt, W. M. Peck, E. A. Elliott, J. Y. Roberts, Jack Blackmon.

Mr. Champion was born near Macon, Ga., April 9, 1841, and was seventy-eight years old. He taught school in Georgia and was married there when nineteen years of age to Miss Eliza Browning. To this union one child, a daughter, was born. This daughter was married to Dr. Merriwether in Texas and at her death left a daughter, and is now living at El Paso.

Coming to Texas in 1872 the deceased located in Houston county where he taught school at Dalys and Grapeland. His first wife dying at the latter place he moved to Crockett, where, as wherever he was known, he became very popular and whre for twenty-three successive years, he was in public office, a part of his official career being that of justice of the peace and the other district clerk. A further evidence of his great popularity will be obtained when the statement is made that at each election at which he was a candidate he invariably swept the field, and was given a majority over all of his opponents. At Crockett he was married to Miss Ollie Tallaferro, who, with him a son, Norborn D., survives him.

Voluntarily resigning the office of district clerk of Houston county he came to Corsicana in 1897, owing to the ill health of his wife, and was in the family grocery business for some time and later was solicitor for N. L. Benson, dry goods, and still later accepted the position of manager of the circulation department of the Daily Sun, a position he filled with faithfulness and honesty and industry, for about twenty years, and a position that he held at the time of his death.

W. A. Champion was a man in all that the word means. He was mild and gentle�a gentleman by nature. He treated his fellow man with due regard and unfailing courtesy. He demanded the same treatment from his fellow man.

Although he was in failing health for some time and suffered torturing pains not infrequently, yet he gave no word of complaint. On the other hand he stood steadfastly to duty and regardless of the ravages of disease, which he apparently ignored, he never lost his youthful erectness and to the last was straight as an Indian and moved about the streets or in the pursuance of his duties with a carriage and firm step that stamped him the man that he was.

W. A. Champion was indeed a splendid man and popular citizen.




Tribute Paid to the Late W. A. Champion

The remains of the late W. A. Champion were laid to rest yesterday afternoon and Corsicana has lost another good man.

The funeral services were held at the family home at 4 o'clock and concluded at Oakwood and the body was placed beneath a profusion of the most beautiful flowers that could be conceived of.

Handsome floral offerings from the proprietors and employees of the Sun-Light Publishing Company gave striking testimonial of the high regard and esteem in which the deceased was held by his employers and fellow-workers.

Mrs. P. C. Townsend, Mrs. Henry Robbins, Edgar Metcalf and Fred White sang.

Rev. Cullom H. Booth conducted the services and paid a high tribute to the deceased, speaking of him as a man of wonderful courage and devotion, devotion to loved ones and devotion to duty.

Rev. Mr. Booth said: �The days of man�s life are numbered, man�s years are three score and ten. Yet if by reason of strength he lives four score yet there is still strength, wisdom and song. Mr. Champion lacked two years living four score years. That seems like a long time to some who have not lived that long but to one who has traversed those years it is but a little while. God says that life is but a span. In the light of eternity it is only a few days.

�And when, those few days are over, that is not all, there is a house ahead, a house not built with hands, and eternal Home in Heaven. The life to come means a life free from the body and at home with the Lord.

�Mr. Champion was for a number of years a sick man. But he never said much about it. When you met him on the street and asked him how he was he always drew himself up, straight as an Indian, and said, �Oh, I�m all right.�

�He was a man of wonderful courage, a man of wonderful devotion and love devotion to his work, devotion to his loved ones. Although harassed by sickness and pain he showed himself to be a man, a good, true man.

�And thank God as we battle through life, over the rough places, over the obstacles, ever and anon we hear the angel voice saying, �It is better farther on.�

�it is by hope we live, by hope and faith in God, our Father. Many a life has been shipwrecked because it wasn�t anchored to God. Today I bring to you not only the promise of immortality but of God�s presence.

�The same Christ who stood with his disciples in the time of trouble and said, �Let not your heart be troubled, Ye believe in God, believe ye also in me. For in my father�s house are many mansions. And I go to prepare a place for you that where I am you may be also,� the same Christ who said this at that time is here today and whispers the same word of hope. May God help us to feel His presence.

�We cannot comprehend the works of the Lord. We feel a sense of utter helplessness at this hour. But let us be comforted and remember that God is our refuge and does all things well. And underneath us, as we feel faint and falling, are His uplifting and supporting arms.�


Guadalupe �Lupe� (Chapa) Miles
Dec 12, 1884 - Jan 12, 1919

Died Here Yesterday Afternoon

Mrs. Luppa Miles, aged 34 years, wife of S. J. Miles, died at the family home, 1108 West Seventh Avenue at 2:15 yesterday afternoon of pneumonia and the remains were interred in Oakwood at 4:30 this afternoon, Rev. Father Graffeo officiating. The deceased is survived by her husband and two children, and a brother, Joe Chapa, of San Antonio, who was here to attend the funeral.


Mattie A. (Litchfield) Peters-Johnson
Sep 29, 1848 -Apr 15, 1919


Remains Were Interred in Corsicana Today.

Mrs. Mattie A. Johnson, who at one time lived in Corsicana, but for the past ten years lived in Dallas, died there yesterday at the advanced age of 80 years, and the remains were interred today, the funeral taking place from the interurban depot at 12:15. The deceased is survived by two sons, Robt. Johnson of Dallas and O. M. Peters of Cuero and two daughters, Mrs. R. D. White and Mrs. Zetella Morris both of Dallas.


Dec 1918 - Jan 5, 1919

Baby Died Sunday.

The three weeks old infant son of Mr. and Mrs. James Wilson, living on Twenty-Seventh street, died Sunday and the remains were interred in Oakwood.


Lena (Drane) Elliott
Mar 6, 1874 - Jun 27, 1919

Funeral Largely Attended

The remains of the late Mrs. Lena Drane Elliott were laid to rest in Oakwood Saturday afternoon at 6 o'clock. The last sad rites were largely attended and there were many beautiful floral offerings. Rev. Ilion T. Jones officiated and C. E. Kerr, S. M. Kerr, W. E. Matchett, A. G. Caldwell, W. F. McCammon, Luther A. Johnson and W. C. Proctor acted as pall bearers.


Edgar C. Cooper
Aug 29, 1905 - May 9, 1923



Funeral services for the last six victims of the Hughes-McKie oil well fire were held at the First Methodist Church Sunday afternoon. Burial was in Oakwood cemetery in a specially provided lot. Rev. Alonzo Monk, Jr., pastor of the Methodist church, and Rev. C. G. Vincent, pastor of the Church of Christ, conducted the services.

One of the largest crowds assembled on any similar occasion in Corsicana was in attendance to pay last tribute to those who tragically laid down their lives.

The church auditorium was filled to capacity long before the hour for the services. The hearse paused near the church and the pallbearers tenderly lifted the casket containing the remains of the six men, and bore it heavily laden with flowers to the church altar.

Members of the bereaved families with faces drawn in sadness and hearts breaking from grief seated near the church altar presented a pathetic moment. The altar literally inlaid with many beautiful floral offerings told in their sweetness of the numerous expressions of sympathy.

Music was rendered by the church choir. Rev. Vincent read from the New Testament. He spoke briefly of the uncertainty of life and the certainty of death. He offered prayers for the living paying a beautiful tribute to the dead.

Rev. Monk spoke a few words of condolence to the bereaved and lifted his voice in prayer.

Men, women and children throughout the congregation sobbed tears in the tenseness of the moment. Rev. Monk declared he hope to see Corsicana take charge of the mound where the men were buried, and set aside the day for an appropriate memorial service to be held in memory of the men who died in the disaster each year.

Another song was sung and another prayer was said, and the casket was borne to the cemetery, where the services were concluded.

Pallbearers were Hon. Luther Johnson, Mayor J. S. Eubank, J. L. Halbert, John C. Calhoun, W. H. Hastings, R. J. Jackson, Sam Jackson and R. J. Graves.





Like an active volcano in eruption, belching forth terrific flames of burning fire constantly fed by the constant flow of oil and gas, the Hughes-McKie well in holocaust which has cost at least 14 men their lives, continues to gush forth its awful blaze at 3 o'clock today.

For twenty-four solid hours flames ranging from 30 feet to 150 feet have leaped high in the air in its spectacular capers. Red streaks of flame ascend as from a mighty nozzle, and disappear in the form of huge black clouds of smoke, which drift with the wind in a surging blast.

The wind switched from the southward during the night and the mighty smokestack releases its flow in the direction of Powell, leaving darkened elements in its wake.

Thousands hurried frantically to the fields during last night to witness the spectacular fire-works.

The well being situated on the east bank of the creek is surrounded by tall timber. A rough one-way traffic road forming a winding snake trail for two miles is the only means of vehicle access to the scene. The roads were choked with vehicle traffic within a short time after the fire started. This kept up all night.

The well has been fenced off and traffic barred on the narrow road to give the men full right of way in getting boilers to the location.

Every company owning equipment in the Powell fields has tendered the use of all available boilers and other equipment to extinguish the flame.

Men are working like Trojans to get the equipment in place. It will be necessary to use fire foam and steam from a dozen boilers.

The burned bodies of at least six men remain in the fire zone according to DeWitt Watkins, who is working at the well today. He stated to a reporter of the Sun this morning that five bodies could be seen near the well, and there was another one missing. He also stated he believed that one or two spectators perished.

Jim Ball foreman in charge of the work believes the final death toll will reach 18.

Mr. Hughes accompanied by J. S. Banks, his attorney, are at the well this afternoon checking up on the number of dead and missing.

Hundreds of spectators thronged in and out and lingered about the Sutherland Undertaking establishment all day Thursday eager to catch a glimpse of the charred bodies of a number of the working crew which perished in the big blaze Wednesday afternoon when the Hughes-McKie No. 1 well ignited.

Five of the bodies, charred and disfigured by the flames almost beyond recognition, were brought to the morgue early last night. They have been identified as follows:

W.A. PHILLIPS, Kerens.
W. A. HICKS, Wortham.
JACK COOPER, Corsicana.
L. P. SHEEK, Dallas.

The bodies of Travis Owen and Emmett Bird, both of Kerens, were brought from the Physicians and Surgeons hospital later in the night, Owen died at 7 o'clock and Bird died at 11:05 o'clock. These two men were dragged from the fire zone and hurried to Corsicana. Each lived only a few hours.

C. B. Keever, J. E. Keever, J. R. Ferris and Jesse Blair from the Keever Undertaking company at Ennis arrived early last night to assist in preparing the bodies for burial.

The bodies of S. P. Allen, field foreman; E. C. Cooper, driller; James Phillips, L. C. Coop, M. O. Turner, have not been recovered. Max Meisner and Charlie Walker are believed to have perished. The charred remains of four can be seen near the well. They cannot be recovered on account of the intensity of the heat.

Funerals This Afternoon.
Funerals for four of the victims of yesterday�s terrible oil field holocaust took place this afternoon. The bodies of W. A. (Ban) Phillips and Travis Owen were taken to Rural Shade were both were raised; Emmett Byrd was interred in Eureka, his former home, and Fred Craig was laid to rest at Chatfield, which was his childhood home.

The ladies of Corsicana and the Chamber of Commerce covered each of the caskets with magnificent flowers.

The remains of L. C. Sheek were sent to Dallas this afternoon and the body of W. A. Hicks will be sent to Wortham tomorrow.

The roustabout crew of 20 men working in the vicinity of the well escaped. Several teamsters and tank men were passing in and about the premises and rushed to the aid of the burning men, but the blaze had swept the bottom before they could be reached.

A negro teamster succeeded in loosening his team from the material wagon and escaped with them. The wagon and its contents were consumed.

Tragic Spectacle.
The scene about the well presented a sad and tragic spectacle when the monstrous explosion came. Both the day and the night crew consisting of twelve men had just started work a short while before. Several bystanders near the well escaped with their lives by running. It is believed that more dead bodies are in the burned area in addition to the known dead.

Men ran in every direction in a frenzy and fell when overcome.

Jimmy Meeks, oil field scout for the Humble Oil & Refining Company; E. W. Quinlin, scout for the Simms Oil Company; Ellis Hammel, drilling contractor; and DeWitt Watkins, members of the roustabout crew, did heroic work in attempting to save the men from their awful death.

Heroic Rescue Work.
Bravely defying all danger at the risk of their own lives rushed headlong to the burning prostrate forms of the groaning men in death agonies in answer to their piteous cries for help and succeeded in bringing them out. The men breathed their last as they were being carried out of the gas, smoke and fire.

Jim Ball escaped with B. B. Simmonds, N. M. Dunman and Dick Pyle. As they made their exit from the timber, Ball turned back to assist Owen. He succeeded in getting him into the open but too late to save his life. Charlie Lewis of Corsicana ran to the assistance of Bird.

Piteous cries for water went up from the two dying men as the ambulance brought them to the hospital.

Meeks, Quinlan, Hammel and Watkins returned towards the well for the other perishing men, but were unable to reach them. Their bodies had been practically reduced to ashes in the blaze which had gained headway. Waste oil in the bottom covering almost an acre upon which large trees saturated with oil had become enveloped in the frenzied inferno.

Quinlan is a world war hero. A native of New York State, he served in the French Army during the early days of the war. Later he served with the Canadian forces.

Quinlan is the possessor of several war medals. He was awarded the Medalto Militaire; the Croix Guerre, and while in the British he service he was the first American to be awarded the Victoria Cross. He received several hard jolts in the war, in the rescue work Wednesday the fumes and smoke temporarily almost overcame him.

Phone Girls Busy.
Shortly after three o'clock a man called the Johnson Drug Store from the Commercial Hotel and communicated the first news that reached Corsicana of the terrible disaster. The caller at the same time told Miss Valsey Hubbard, the operator, that he wanted every doctor available to go to the scene of the McKie well. The call was immediately referred to the chief operator. She rang the Corsicana Surgical and Medical clinic and asked that the doctors be sent. The hospital and every drug store in town were called to assist in every possible way. The undertaking parlors soon dispatched ambulances toward the fire. Emergency telephone calls from Powell, Kerens and Corsicana came pouring into the central office running as high as 2,400 calls per hour.

Frantic calls from various individuals were made in effort to locate the families of the dead and injured men.

Public memorial services will be held at the gospel tent at 7:45 o'clock Friday evening under the auspices of the Chamber of Commerce. Rev. Alonzo Monk, Jr., will withhold his regular revival services until after the memorial ceremonies.

The Chamber of Commerce today sent floral offerings to the families of the deceased. A suitable medal will be provided for the family of each man by the commercial organization in commemoration of their brave efforts towards the development of the oil resources of the county.

Among the members of the roustabout crew escaping are L. W. Wilkitz, E. W. Arnett, Whyne Short, J. W. Crosby, Jas. A. McDaniels, J. A. Story, Jim Ball, Ned Dumas, and Johnnie Kennon. The names of the other men have not been learned.

These men had been gathered up from various leases in the Mexia district and brought to assist in taking care of the well. The working record and the names of the men were in Mr. Allen�s pocket, and none of the surviving members are able to give the names of all the men.

Superintendent Walker of the city schools of Henrietta, and wife, father and mother of Mrs. S. P. Allen, and father of Charlie Walker, arrived in Corsicana early today.

Station Agent Wyatt and daughters of Plano, friends of the Walker family are also here.

Mr. Allen�s mother, and Miss Walker of Denton are also here. Miss Walker is a teacher in the Denton College of Industrial Arts. She is a sister of Mrs. Allen.




Memorial services in honor of the oil field workers who lost their lived in the big blaze at the Hughes-McKie well Wednesday will be held at the gospel tent, Eleventh street and Seventh avenue at 7:45 o'clock Friday evening.

The ceremonies will be conducted under the auspices of the Chamber of Commerce. Mayor J. S. Eubank and members of the city administration, presidents of the Rotary, Lions, Civic, Advertising clubs, the Retail Merchants� Association will occupy a place on the rostrum.

Every minister in town will take part in the program.

The ministers will conduct a prayer service. Hugh L. Hiett will sing.

Hon. Luther A. Johnson will make the address of condolence. Other speakers will take part.





Funeral services for S. P. Allen, Charles Walker, Jim Phillips, C. M. Cooper, E. C. Cooper and L. C. Cook, fire victims of the burning Hughes-McKie oil well, will be held at the First Methodist Church at 2:30 o'clock Sunday afternoon, according to announcement made today by W. S. Banks, attorney for the J. K. Hughes Development Company.

Rev. Alonzo Monk, Jr., pastor of the church assisted by Rev. C. G. Vineer, pastor of the Church of Christ, will conduct the services.

The remains of the six bodies will be interred in one casket in a specially provided lot in Oakwood cemetery.

Active pallbearers will be Hon. Luther A. Johnson, Mayor J. S. Eubank, R. J. Jackson, Sam J. Jackson, John C. Calhoun, R. J. Graves, J. L. Halbert and W. H. Hastings.

The smouldering remains of the six men were recovered from the fire area of the ill-fated Hughes-McKie well several days after it caught fire May 9. They have been held at the Sutherland Undertaking Parlors pending the possible recovery of another body believed to have been undiscovered in the debris.

Seven of the perish crew were recovered from the fire shortly after the blaze started. Each were positively identified, and have been buried.

Mr. Banks stated today that the six remaining bodies had been sufficiently identified as to justify giving out the name of each. He stated the official casualty list of the J. K. Hughes Development company places the number of known dead and accounted for at 13. The list is as follows:

S. P. Allen, L. C. Cook, M. O. Turner, Charles Walker, Travis Owens, W. M. (Ban) Phillips, Jim Phillips, L. P. Sheek, W. A. Hicks, C. M. (Jack) Cooper, E. C. Cooper, Emmett G. Byrd, and Fred E. Craig.

One report carried the name of Max Meisner as among the dead and missing. Mr. Banks stated today that communication had been established with Mr. Meisner, and the Hughes company is certain he escaped injury. The company had the fire area thoroughly scorched by men clad in asbestos clothing, and no other body was found. Mr. Banks stated the company feels certain that the bodies of all men who perished in the fire has been found.

The J. K. Hughes Development Company has planned to erect a suitable monument over the grave of the six men to be buried in Oakwood cemetery in remembrance of the total number of its employees losing their lives in the big fire.

A change of plans for extinguishing the fire at the burning well late yesterday appears to have been extended the time before the blaze is stopped. W. H. McClintock has assembled a rig of his own making and patent, which he is confident will put out the fire when brought into play, but so far the apparatus has not been applied. Work was suspended at the well at 5 o'clock Friday, and nothing was done during the night. A different apparatus containing a T-joint and valve gear model has been completed, and efforts are being directed towards apply it before the McClintock machine is used.

Rain last night rendered the creek bottoms and the roads leading to the field in a very muddy condition. Transportation out from town was slow early today, which operated to cause some delay in getting work under way Saturday morning.

Although the roads were very slippery, teams and heavy trucks were on the road with tons of materials for the various new locations for drillings.

A meeting of the stockholders of the Cor-Tex Deep Well Company was held at the well just south of town at 3 o'clock this afternoon. Plans for resuming operations at the test were thoroughly gone over. Several interested individuals attended the meeting and reports are that much enthusiasm is evidenced over the proposed new operations there.

The test south of Blooming Grove to be put down by Dr. Stubbs and Dunbar spudded in at 4 o'clock. Several went out from Corsicana to see the bit take its first plunge into the surface. A local photographer was present to take a view of the rig and the crowds assembled to see the new test stared.


Noah Elmus Cochrum
Sep 21, 1877 - Nov 23, 1920


Had Been in Bad Health for Some Time�Well Known Here

Near three weeks ago a man apparently between thirty-five and forty years of age registered at the Main Hotel as N. E. Cochrum, Humble, Texas. He was in bad health and ate only one meal a day, and the clerk at the hotel says he frequently sat up till very late at night. Some days ago a local physician was at the hotel to see him and the clerk says the physician said Cochrum was suffering from chronic malaria. Yesterday afternoon 5 o'clock Cochrum went to his room and nothing was seen or heard of him till about 8:30 this morning when a colored porter went to his room and found him dead on his bed, with an empty bottle that was labeled carbolic acid was found on the floor by his bed. The body which lay back across the bed with his feet hanging off the bed and touching the floor, and still warm. He still had on his underclothing and top short, but his feet were bare. The lips nor the face or hands were burned by the dreadful drug, but his mouth on the inside, as well as his tongue were dreadfully burned. Mr. Sutherland was phoned for and the body was taken to his undertaking parlors and embalmed and is now there awaiting advices from relatives. Parties here who knew the family well says the deceased lived in Corsicana when a child and that his father was at one time in the dairy business here. He married here some years ago Miss Varnell Stover, and his wife has a brother, Malcom Stover, who is now employed at the Mills-Garitty pump station east of town. The wife and four children live in Humble, and his mother and two sisters, Mrs. W. N. Fondren, and Miss Ida Cochrum live in Houston, and three brothers, Allen, Luther and E. P. Cochrum live in California.

During his stay in the Hotel Main here, the deceased although in bad health, did not seem to be especially cast down, and was usually very quiet and retiring in his manners.

At. 2 o'clock this afternoon Mr. Southerland received a telegram from W. W. Fondren, of Houston, brother-in-law of the deceased, telling him to hold body for further instructions.



Remains Were Interred Here.

The remains of the late Noah Elmus Cochrum, aged forty-seven years, who was found dead in his room at the Hotel Main yesterday morning, were interred in Oakwood this afternoon, the funeral taking place from the Sutherland undertaking parlors. Rev. C. H. Booth officiated, and a large number of friends of the family, who used to live here, attended the last sad rites. The relatives here to attend the funeral were his wife and four children, of Humble, his mother, Mrs. Mary Cochrum and his sister, Miss Ida Cochrum of Houston, and his brother, Allen C. Cochrum of Hull, near Houston. The remains were interred by the side of the father of the deceased who died here twenty-seven years ago.

The family have many friends here who knew them when they made Corsicana their home and all sympathize with them in their great sorrow.

There were many beautiful flowers and J. C. Hughes, J. C. Morgan, R. M. Lockhart, L. W. Ashmore, J. H. Wooley and Wiley Smith acted as pall bearers. Mrs. P. C. Townsend, Mrs. Henry Robbins and Edgar Metcalf and J. B. Wheeler sang.


Vermelle Ursula (Stover) Cochrum
Jun 20, 1880 - Nov 8, 1958

Mrs. Cockrum Dies Saturday

Ms. Vernelle Cockrum, 76, died in a Baytown hospital Saturday morning.

Graveside rites will be conducted at Oakwood cemetery here Monday at 2 p.m.

Surviving are two daughters, Miss Thelma Cocrum, Austin and Miss Florence Cockrum, Washington, D. C.; two sons, Roy and George Cocrum, both of Baytown; five grandchildren and other relatives.

McCammon will direct.



Mrs. Cockrum Burial Monday

Funeral rites for Mrs. Vernelle Cockrum, 78, who died in a Baytown hospital Saturday morning, were held at Oakwood cemetery Monday at 2 p.m. She was a former Corsicana resident. The rites were conducted by Rev. Archie Fleming.

Surviving are two daughters, Miss Thelma Cockrum, Austin, and Miss Florence Cockrum, Washington, D. C.; two sons, Ray Cockrum and George Cockrum, both of Baytown; five grandchildren and other relatives.

McCammon directed.


Robert Bruce Grissett, Sr.
1854 - Jan. 29, 1920

Remains Interred Here.

The remains of the late R. B. Grisset, a former resident here, who died in Waxahachie Thursday night were interred here at noon today, the funeral party reaching here at 12:15 and the funeral taking place from the union station. There were services at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Morse in Waxahachie, conducted by Rev. C. L. Cartwright, the Methodist pastor there and the services at the grave here were conducted by Rev. M. W. Clark, pastor of the Eleventh Avenue Methodist Church, of which the deceased was still a member. A large number of friends attended the funeral and there were many beautiful flowers.




Remains Will Be Brought Here For Interment.

R. B. Grissett, age 68, a former citizen of Corsicana and for four years city assessor and collector of Texas for Corsicana, died in Waxahachie last night after a long illness, and the remains will be brought here tomorrow and the funeral will take place from the union station at 12:15, with interment in Oakwood. The deceased, who was a brother-in-law of Dr. W. D. Fountain of Corsicana, is survived by five grown children, Bruce and Will Grissett of the North Texas oil fields, Mrs. Cline Howard, of Vian, Okla.; Mrs. Charley Morse of Waxahachie, and Ms. Nellie Willis and Miss Mary Grissett.

The deceased was a good man and hundreds of friends here will learn of his death with genuine sorrow.


Thomas J. Glass
May 8, 1853 - Apr 25, 1920

Died in Rusk Yesterday.

T. J. Glass, aged 67 years, a brother of Mrs. Chas. Byrd and Mrs. Nancy Grady, died in Rusk yesterday and the remains will be buried here tomorrow morning after services at the home of Charles Byrd, at 9 and a good many years ago made his home in Corsicana.



Remains Were Interred Today.

The remains of the late T. J. Glass, who died at Rusk Sunday, reached here last night and were taken to the home of Chas. Byrd and the funeral took place from there at 11 o'clock this morning. Revs. L. W. Shivers and M. W. Clark and T. J. York, A. S. Vandiver, Mr. Lillie, J. C. Hughes and Morgan Holloway acted as pall bearers.


Charles B. Harris
Sep 23, 1886 - Feb 7, 1920

Funeral Here This Afternoon.

The remains of the late Chas. B. Harris, who died at Eureka Saturday, were interred here this afternoon from the Sutherland undertaking parlors, Rev. B. W. Vining officiating. There was a good attendance at the funeral and many pretty flowers. The deceased was the son of John Harris of Hamilton, formerly of Corsicana, and a brother of Eddie B. Harris, of the Corsicana Vulcanizing Works. Besides these he had many other relatives with whom the community will sympathize in their bereavement.

The last sad rites were conducted by Rev. B. W. Vining, and three brothers of the deceased, E. B., J. C. and C. P. Harris, and three brothers-in-law, Grady Bowden, and William and Tom Shields acted as pall bearers.


Preston Major Lea
Jan 5, 1849 - Dec 13, 1934



P. M. Lea, aged 85 years, well-known resident of Corsicana for many years, died at the family home Thursday morning at 4:35 o'clock. He had been prominent in business circles for many years prior to his retirement several years ago.

He was born in Knoxville, Tenn. Jan. 5, 1849, and came to Corsicana 64 years ago�in 1870. He operated a gin for a number of years and owned a private waterworks system in Corsicana for some time, later being engaged in the oil business.

Mr. Lea was married in 1879 to Miss Lida M. Garner.

Surviving are his wife, a son, Preston J. Lea, Wichita Falls; two daughters, Mrs. Walter B. Guthrie, Wichita Falls; and Mrs. H. E. Tuttle, Corsicana; six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

The funeral will be held Friday morning at 10 o'clock from the family home with burial in Oakwood cemetery. The rites will be conducted by Rev. T. Edgar Neal, pastor of the First Methodist church, assisted by Rev. H. J. Ellis, rector of St. John�s Episcopal church.

Operated Gin.

Mr. Lea in earlier days operated one of the few up-to-date gins in this community and was a land owner of a large scale and also raised fine hogs at one time. While operating his gin which stood near where his home is located at the corner of West Seventh avenue and South Twentieth street Mr. Lea discovered excellent water at a minor depth near the gin and later had dug several large wells in that sector where he owned considerable property and operated a private water system for several years.

Later on when oil was discovered in and near Corsicana he engaged in the oil business to some extent and drilled several wildcat wells over the county, the last operation being the well drilled only a few years ago north of the Corsicana Country club, on the Emhouse road. This operation failed to find oil in paying quantities.

Mr. Lea was a kindly, friendly man, one of the old school of Southerners whose word was as good as his bond�who dealt fairly with his fellowmen and expected all others to do the same. Always courteous and never in too big a hurry to give a friendly and helping hand to the younger generations he had gained and held warm friendships in all walks of life in Corsicana and Navarro county and although he had retired from active business life several years ago, his passing will be deeply regretted by his hosts of friends.

The funeral will be directed by the Sutherland-McCammon Funeral home.




Funeral services for P. M. Lea, 85, retired ginner, oil man and financial leader of Corsicana, who died at the family home Friday morning at 10 o'clock with burial in Oakwood cemetery. The rites were conducted by Rev. T. Edgar Neal, pastor of the First Methodist church of which Mr. Lea was a member, assisted by Rev. H. J. Ellis, rector of the St. John�s Episcopal church.

He was a native of Tennessee but had resided in Corsicana for the past 64 years. Mr. Lea conducted an up-to-date cotton gin here in the early days and later operated a water works system. He was engaged in the oil business here for a number of years and drilled a number of wildcat tests.

Surviving are his wife, a son, Preston J. Lea, Wichita Falls; two daughters, Mrs. Walter B. Guthrie, Wichita Falls, and Mrs. H. E. Tuttle, Corsicana; six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Pallbearers were Joe Key Garner, Frank Garner, John J. Garner, Preston Garner, W. P. Wood and T. E. Lindsey.

The funeral was directed by the Sutherland-McCammon Funeral Home.



Relatives Here For Burial of P. M. Lea On Friday Morning

Mr. and Mrs. Walter Guthrie, Mr. and Mrs. Preston Lea and daughter, Katie of Wichita Falls, Mr. and Mrs. Guthrie�s daughter, Mrs. John A. McCurdy of Austin; Mr. and Mrs. Hal Peck of Amarillo were here for the funeral services and burial of their loved father, grandfather and kinsman, the late P. M. Lea, who passed away Thursday morning at the family home on West Seventh avenue at an early hour.

A large concourse of sorrowing friends paid their last tribute of love and esteem to this good man�s memory and the wealth of lovely flowers attested his popularity.

Heartfelt sympathy is extended the bereaved loved ones by their host of friends here and elsewhere.


Lida May (Garner) Lea
May 1, 1857 - Nov 21, 1943



Mrs. P. M. Lea, lifelong resident of Corsicana, died at the home of her son, Preston Lea, in Wichita Falls Sunday afternoon. Mrs. Lea had gone to Wichita Falls to visit her son when stricken.

Funeral services will be held Tuesday afternoon at 4 o'clock from the Sutherland-McCammon Chapel with interment in Oakwood cemetery. Rev. E. F. Bohmfalk, pastor of the First Methodist church will conduct the rites.

Mrs. Lea was active in church and civic circles here for many years. She was a charter member of the DAR and had a leading part in its work.

Surviving are her son, Preston Lea, Wichita Falls; two daughters, Mrs. Willie Tuttle, Corsicana; Mrs. W. C. Guthrie, Corsicana; two brothers, John T. Garner, Corsicana; T. J. Garner, Oak Valley; a number of nephews, pieces and other relatives.


  • The Corsicana Daily Sun - Monday, Nov 22, 1943
  • Submitted by Diane Richards
  • w/o Preston Major Lea;  d/o Joel Penson Garner and Adaline Tennessee (Cranford) Garner buried in Hamilton Beeman Cemetery



Funeral services for Mrs. P. M. Lea, prominent and lifelong resident of Corsicana, who died at the home of her son, Preston Lea, Wichita Falls, Sunday, were held Tuesday afternoon at 4 o'clock from the Sutherland-McCammon Chapel. Rev. E. F. Bohmfalk conducted the rites and burial was in Oakwood cemetery.

Surviving are a son, two daughters, two brothers and other relatives.


Isabelle (Langridge) Henderson
Sep 10, 1867 - Jul 13, 1920

Died Last Night.

Mrs. Isabell Henderson, wife of R. H. (Dick) Henderson, died last night after a long illness and the remains were interred in Oakwood at 3 o'clock this afternoon. The funeral taking place from the family home 114 East Tenth Avenue, Rev. H. J. Ellis officiating.


  • The Corsicana Daily Sun - Wednesday, Jul 14, 1920
  • Submitted by Diane Richards
  • Born in England w/o Richard H. �Dick� Henderson; d/o George E. Langridge & Louisa/Eliza (Maynard) Langridge

Thomas H. Jack
Aug 2, 1858 - May 28, 1920


Thos. H. Jack Was Formerly Resident of Blooming Grove.

Thos. H. Jack for many years a resident of Blooming Grove, but for the past seven months residing in Oak Cliff, (Dallas), died in a short time yesterday afternoon, after receiving a stroke of apoplexy. His body will arrive here this afternoon, at 6 o'clock and will be taken to the home of J. S. Callicutt, where funeral services will be conducted at 10:30 tomorrow morning. Mr. Jack is survived by his wife and one daughter, Miss Julia. He was also a brother of Mrs. J. S. Callicutt, Mrs. S. M. Ransom and Mrs. Julia Christian of Corsicana. Messrs. W. H. and S. H. Jack of Corsicana are cousins.

Interment will be in Oakwood cemetery.

The deceased had been at home yesterday at the usual hour for dinner and had returned to his law office in Oak Cliff (Dallas) when stricken with apoplexy and never regained consciousness. His sisters and Mrs. W. H. Jack were notified of his illness and went at once to his bedside. He was a member of the Methodist Church and had been since childhood. He was a lawyer and practiced his profession up to the time of his death. He had many friends in Blooming Grove where he resided for many years, and in Corsicana, where he was a frequent visitor, who will learn of his death with genuine sorrow.

Rev. Mr. Morton, pastor of the Blooming Grove Methodist church, who was Mr. Jack�s pastor, will conduct the funeral services.



Remains Were Interred Here

The remains of the late Thos. H. Jack, who died in Dallas Thursday night reached here yesterday afternoon and the funeral service took place this morning at 10 o'clock at the home of J. B. Callicutt on West Fourth Avenue. The services were conducted by Rev. Mr. Morton, pastor of the Methodist church at Blooming Grove, assisted by Rev. D. A. Porter and W. M. Clark. There were many beautiful floral offerings and a large attendance of sorrowing friends. The pall bearers were: Active, E. E. Babers, J. L. Cox, Joel Haden, B. F. Hartzell, D. M. Holland and Loyd Young; Honorary, W. M. Taylor, L. B. Cobb, L. Treaswell, W. M. Huggins, F. H. Simpson, John B. Jones, A. W. Stokes, J. B. Banks and W. M. Thompson.


William Robert Burns
Aug 14, 1859 - Feb 24, 1920


Funeral This Afternoon Was Largely Attended.

W. R. Burns, aged sixty-one years died at his home, 1419 West Fourth Avenue, at 9 o'clock last night, after a lingering illness. The deceased had been a guager for the Magnolia Petroleum Co., here for many years, and was highly esteemed as a citizen, and had many personal friends who are pained at his death, and the community sympathizes with his wife in her sorrow.

The funeral took place in Oakwood this afternoon at 4 o'clock and was largely attended, and many beautiful floral offerings were sent by friends who esteemed him in life and are pained at his death. The services were impressively conducted by Rev. B. W. Vining, and the pallbearers were: Active, W. H. Hastings, W. W. Gage, Henry Clemmons, C. H. Delafosse, Byron Cheney and Will Hilliard. Honorary: W. C. Proctor, E. R. Brown and E. A. Lattimore of Dallas; W. H. James of Greenville; A. B. Douglas, Luther A. Johnson, G. F. Miller, J. C. West, Hood Cheney, Dr. J. A. Jones and E. H. Church.


William Everett Dowis
Aug 23, 1903 - May 16, 1923

Young Man Takes Own Life in Athens

At Athens, Henderson county, yesterday morning about 8 o'clock, Everitt Dowis, aged near twenty years, shot himself through the head with a pistol and died instantly. The act was committed in the presence of his own mother, his wife and little sister. The deceased had been married two years, and left his wife and an infant. He was the son of R. J. Dowis, of Athens, a section foreman on the Cotton Belt, and had worked with his father on the Cotton Belt tracks all day Saturday. The wife of the deceased is the daughter of T. W. Barham and wife of Blooming Grove, and the remains passed through here today en route to Blooming Grove for interment.

The family, who were here with the remains know no cause for his act.


Clara Anna (Williams) Boulware
Jan 28, 1891 - Jun 1, 1967

Mrs. Clara Anna Boulware, wife of Rev. W. T. Boulware died Thurs. (today) at 5:44 am in a Hillsboro hospital. She was born in Navarro County & had lived in Hillsboro since 1952. She was a member of the First Meth. Church where funeral services will be held Friday at 3 pm. Burial will be in Hillcrest Garden of Memory. She is survived by her husband; 3ch: C. E. Boulware - Houston, Mrs. Frank White-Morgan & Mrs. John R. Wooten-Waco; 5 gch; 3bros: Lee Williams - Corsicana, Earn Williams-Blooming Grove & Guy Williams-Pasadena; sis: Mrs. C. F. Smith - Waco.
(Hillsboro Daily Mirror, Thurs., June 1, 1967)

Daughter of C. O. Williams and Ella Poole. She was a housewife, 76 years old, married, and a resident of Hillsboro, Texas when she died. Informant was Rev. W. T. Boulware; burial was June 2, 1967. Marshall & Marshall was in charge of arrangements.
(Texas death certificate# 39386)

Willoughby Thomas Boulware, Jr. Rev.
Mar 6, 1890 - Jan 24, 1973

Rev. W. T. Boulware of Hillsboro died in a Hillsboro hosp. Weds. morning. Funeral services were held at 2 pm Thurs. at the First Meth. Church in Hillsboro. Burial was in Hillcrest Garden of Memories. He was born in Cleburne on Mar. 5, 1890. He was licensed to preach by Corsicana Dist. Conference of the Central Texas Annual Conference of Blooming Grove in 1911. He was ordained in 1914 as a deacon in Hillsboro & ordained an elder in 1917 in Georgetown. Rev. Boulware's first appointment was with the Rommey Circuit in the Cisco Dist. He served the following churches before his death: Williams Circuit, Emmett Circuit, Wortham, Dawson Hico, Clifton, Glen Rose, Grapevine, Strawn, Burleson, Waxahachie, Mount Calm, Palmer, Oglesby, North Corsicana & the Line Street Meth. Church in Hillisboro. He retired in 1950 after 36-1/2 years in the ministry. He was at the Milford Meth. Church when he retired. Rev. Boulware lived in Hillsboro since 1952. He was living with his daughter, Mrs. John Wooten of Waco, at the time of his death. He was married to Clara Ann Williams Jan. 31, 1914 & she preceded him in death in 1967. A daughter, Mrs. Jean Nelson, died in 1962 & a son, Charles Boulware died in 1968. Survivors: 2daus: Mrs. John Wooten-Waco & Mrs. Frank White-Morgan; bro: Mart Boulware-Cleburne; sis: Mrs. Ruby Stine-Petrolla; 5 gch, 1g-gch & 1 d/l Mrs. C. E. Boulware-Houston.
(The Reporter, Hillsboro, Texas, Monday, January 29, 1973)

Son of Willoughby Thomas Boulware, Sr. and Harriet Jane Howard. He was a retired minister, 82 years old, widowed, and a resident of Hillsboro, Texas when he died. Informant was his daughter, Mrs. John Wooten; burial was January 25, 1973. Marshall & Marshall, Hillsboro, Texas, was in charge of arrangements.
(Texas death certificate# 12833)

L. Stark Wright
abt 1855 - Mar 9, 1923

Died at Pursley.

L. S. Wright, aged 68 years, and a well known and highly esteemed citizen of the Pursley community, died there last night after two weeks illness with pneumonia, and the remains were interred in the Ward cemetery this afternoon. His wife and three grown sons survive.


Sarah A. "Sallie" (Pevehouse) Melton
Jul 21, 1856 - Jan 17, 1920

In Memoriam.

In memory of Sallie Melton, who died January 17, at 1 o'clock. She was taken sick January 14th with that dreadful disease, pneumonia. All was done that loving hands could do; the nurse and doctor were so kind and patient to her during her suffering.

She was the wife of Lill Melton, to whom she had been married about 45 years. She was 64 years of age. It was so hard to give her up, but God saw fit to take her to that home of rest. So weep not, loved ones, she is in that happy home of rest. She belonged to the Baptist Church and she lived a faithful life until death came to her. She leaves a husband, two children, one boy and one girl, they being Ed Melton and Mrs. Myrtle Robinson. She also leaves seven grandchildren, three sisters, four brothers and many friends to mourn her death. She was laid to rest in the Dresden cemetery January 17th, beside her precious daughter, who passed away when just a small child. Bro. Parks officiated at the funeral. There were many beautiful flowers placed upon her grave.

We all know that you miss her, and it broke your hearts when she died; sad and lonely is your home for wife and mother is not there. Yes, you will miss her more than words can express, but now she is an angel in that happy home of rest. You could not keep her, God needed her up there to make that home complete, where there is never pain or care. Yes, she has left your home, left you broken, broken hearted, but hope again to meet here and never more be parted. Your cries can not bring her back; no, she has gone to stay, where Jesus ever reigns and there is ever-lasting day. You may never have a home again, there may never be another that can fill her place, fill the place of wife and mother. Your happy home is broken, it does not seem like home; wife and mother has gone to heaven and you are left alone. I know it isn�t home at all, just father and brother and sister, for home is not complete without a wife and mother. You can not forget her, forget her tender care; I know you are lonely, for wife and mother is not there. But perhaps you will meet her, the time may not be long till you may be together in that happy, beautiful home.



Jeanette Ellis
1919 - Dec. 11, 1919

In Memoriam.

On December 11, 1919 the death Angel visited the home of Mr. and Mrs. Cay Ellis and took from them their darling baby�little Jeannette. Little Jeannette just spent a short time in this sinful old world. She was just three months and sixteen days old when God called her to come home. Oh how we will miss her. We cannot understand why God took her away but he does all things for the best. It is so hard to give her up. She was laid to rest in the Dresden cemetery beside her little sister. Oh, how hard it was to look upon the little white casket and know we never would see our darling baby in this world any more. But, weep not, dear mother and father, look to God for help for He alone can comfort and strengthen you. Just put your trust in Him.

A precious one from us is gone,
A voice we loved is stilled;
A place is vacant in our home
Which can never be filled.



Harrison W. Treadwell
1889 - Dec. 31, 1915


Honorable words of a noble companion:

Dear Friends: On December 31, 1915 at the sad hour of 8 o'clock p.m. as the old year was passing away, so did the life of a dear friend whom was Harrison W. Treadwell of Barry, Texas. He was an intelligent man of 26 years, four months and one day, when Christ called him to dwell with the angels. He married Miss Lillie Starks on September 15, 1912 and on May 26, 1915 God blessed them with a precious baby girl. There were no mansion any happier than their home. Harrison was an honest and loving companion, was loved by all who knew him, and on Sunday January 2nd at 3 o'clock was laid to rest in the Dresden cemetery. A beautiful floral offering was made and a large procession followed him to his last resting place. It was so hard to give him up but God saw fit for him in heaven, so as He teaches us that our loss is heaven�s gain. He was confined for several weeks with typhoid fever, but just before the end came it turned to something resembling meningitis. He leaves a heartbroken wife and baby girl, two sisters, four brothers, a father and a host of friends and other relatives to mourn his great loss. He read his Bible nightly and his belief was of the Missionary Baptist, and the last he read was the book of Ruth. We extend our heart-felt sympathy to the bereaved wife and baby because we know she will miss her life companion and little Ruby Mae will miss dear papa for we all loved him, but God loved him best and took him to dwell with the angels and walk through the pearly gates on golden hinges which will be standing open wide, and when his dear companions reach the sweet home on the great beyond he shall be standing with two arms out spread to greet and welcome them. All was done with loving hands and a good physician that could be called for, but God plucked the precious rose to pin with joy on His bosom. He had for the past two years worked for the Magnolia Petroleum Co., of Corsicana, and has many chums and friends there, who with surprising sorrow, hated to hear of their friend departing from this world of sorrow to the Great Beyond.

On the 11th of last August he bid his friends a kind farewell on the 12th moved to Barry where he remained until death overtook him. He lived on the farm one mile west of Barry. Now dear kindred, do not grieve after our dear comrade, for we all know he is at sweet rest, no other father or husband was loved and praised so much. He was true and honest in every respect to his dear wife, who is left to care for his sweet babe, who is so much his image.

But we are hoping for that meeting,
When this life of toil is o�er;
Where we share each other�s greeting
Where we meet to part no more.

And he never more shall enter,
Or his footprints shall be seen;
in this wicked world of sorrow,
Where the life is ever green.

God did win his fortune smile,
Angels entered at their door;
But thee that loved them all the while
Has left them lovlier than before.

But Lord they lifted their sorrow to thee,
But though it holds their hearts in thrail;
One precious gift you gave to them,
You gave them strength to bear it all.

Go this far but go no further,
�Tis the mandate from above;
Spare their lives, spare their joys,
He is there and God is love.

Yes, God has taken from them,
The one they loved so well;
But he is safe with the angels,
There to forever dwell.

No more will they hear his laughter,
Or those smiles so bright to see;
But without dear Harrison,
They will forever be.

Yet again we hope to meet him,
On that bright eternal shore;
Where the cup of death and sorrow,
Will be drunk no never more.

They will miss him in his daily duties
Miss him in the silent night;
And his voice so glad and merry,
Smiles so sweet and eyes so bright.

By the stream flowing ever,
By the fireside sustless tread;
At the table be without him,
For his precious soul is dead.

And the love which God hath given,
Born to live and not to die;
But to bloom for thee in heaven,
In the springtime bye and bye.

Their darling from them has gone,
The voice they loved is still;
A place is vacant in that home,
Which never can be filled.

Written by a well-known companion, South Corsicana.


  • The Corsicana Daily Sun - Wednesday, Feb 9, 1916
  • Submitted by Diane Richards
  • h/o Lillie Jane (Starks) Treadwell-Parks married Sep. 15, 1912 buried in Mt. Olivet cemetery, Fort Worth, Texas. s/o Stephen William �Steve� Treadwell and Margie/Marcie M. (Wilson) Treadwell (he is a brother to Roxie Ann (Treadwell) Neighbors also buried in Dresden
  • Dresden cemetery

William Arthur Lee Daniel
Dec 26, 1862 - May 30, 1916

Rush Creek News.

On the morning of May 30th the death angel spread its wings over the home of Mrs. Lula Daniels and took from her, her husband W. A. L. Daniels. Mr. Daniels had been in bad health for a number of years. He had been totally blind for 7 or 8 years, and at times would lose his mind and then get alright again. About three months ago his mind became deranged again and he gradually grew worse until death relieved his suffering. He was a member of the Methodist church. I truly hope he is in the City of Sight for there�s no blind ones there. Funeral services were conducted by Bro. Herron of Blooming Grove, after which the body was taken in charge by the Woodmen and laid to rest in the Dresden cemetery. The grave was almost covered with beautiful flowers. Mr. Daniels was fifty-three years old, a native of South Carolina. He leaves a wife and ten children, five boys and five girls to mourn his loss.

We shall come with joy and gladness,
We shall gather �round the throne;
Face to face with those who love us,
We shall be known as we are known,
And the song of our redemption,
Shall resound through endless day;
When the shadows have departed,
And the mists have cleared away.

June 10.---HYACINTH.


Fannie Dell (Farmer) Wood
Jul 7, 1892 - Apr 26, 1982

Fannie Dell Wood was born July 7, 1892 to James Monroe & Ollie Eva (Hoiser) Farmer in Navarro County Texas. She passed away on April 26, 1982 at Waco, McLennan County Texas. Burial services were at Corley Funeral Home in Corsicana, Navarro County Texas. Interment was at Younger Cemetery, Silver City, Navarro County Texas on April 27, 1982. Rev. B. W. Johnson officiated.

Fannie married Willie A. Wood on August 9, 1911 at Silver City, Texas. WIllie farmed and worked at the Cotton Gin in Purdon Texas. Fannie was a housewife and mother of their three girls, Ollie Edna. married to Marshall Ford Dempsey, Eva Faye, married to Emmitt Cecil Wallace, Maggie Eloise, married to John Morris Tickle. They had five grandchildren and host of great-grandchildren.

Fannie was a wonderful mother and grandmother. She was a wonderful cook and a great seamstress. She crocheted all kind dollies and other wonderful things. She even served as a midwife at times. She always had a grin when the kids came to see her. It was a real treat to go to their house at Christmas.

In the 1940's Tin Foil (Aluminum Foil) was very scare, so when she found some, no matter how small of a piece she would save it and roll it into a ball. Those balls would get to 3 to 4 inches in diameter by Christmas time each year. She would cut out pictures from the Sears & Roebuck Catalog and trace around them on Shoebox cardboard. She would then take the foil and cover the cardboard pieces and make Christmas ornaments that could be hung up.

Fannie was a good Christain woman, she read her bible and prayed for her family every single day. She never went to sleep without praying. She will have her rewards in heaven.


  • Submitted by Edward Lynn Williams
  • w/o Willie Ada Wood; d/o James Monroe Farmer & Ollie Eva (Hosier) Farmer

Navarro County TXGenWeb
� Copyright February, 2020
Edward L. Williams