Acker's Ferry
Navarro County Texas


HOME


Cities and Towns

 

Ackerís Ferry
Located a few miles south of Porterís Bluff and 5 miles northeast of Montfort was a Trinity river crossing called Akerís Ferry. It was established during the wild early times before Texas statehood. Large herds of buffalo, antelope and deer roamed the region at this time. Some of the earliest adventurers like C. W. Winkler, Judge Reagan, Brit Dawson, Sam Frost, Buck and Augustus Barry crossed the Trinity at Akerís Ferry into what would become Navarro County, Texas.
Boats ran on the Trinity several months of the year and Akerís Ferry was a busy little establishment. The project of a navigable river was a failure. In 1899, fifty years after Navarro County was formed, the county commissionersí court campaigned to erect a bridge across the Trinity. Ads ran in the Dallas Morning News for bids for a steel truss bridge and steel cable bridge so the commissionersí court selected the most appropriate span. A Weatherford bridge building company was awarded the contract. Corsicana chose the Akerís Ferry site for this bridge.
In the spring of 1908 the government dredged the Trinity. They used dynamite to rid the river of obstructions. In doing this they caused much damage to the bridge which put it in an unusable condition.

Notes:


Navarro County TXGenWeb
© Copyright February, 2020
Edward L. Williams