Located at the intersection of Farm
roads 2930 and 1126, four miles north of Barry
in Navarro County Texas. Cryer Creek took its name from a
nearby creek. Settlers thought a fall in the stream sounded like a woman crying.
The site was first settled in 1845 by William Melton, who before 1855 was joined
by a number of other settlers. Dock Garlington and Wilt Stokes opened a general
store there in 1878; this store still existed in 1962, when it was run by Minnie
Garlington Walker. In 1879 Bud Conger opened the Cryer Creek post office, which
was moved to Barry in 1907. By 1884 Cryer Creek had a district school, two
stores, three churches, three steam cotton gins - gristmills, and a population
of 100. The population rose to 150 in 1890 and peaked at 200 in 1892, but the
town began to decline after the Texas and St. Louis Railway bypassed it. The
Cryer Creek school had eighty-five students n 1906. In the 1930s the community
consisted of a church, a school, a cemetery, and a number of scattered
dwellings, and from 1936 to the end of the 1960s it reported seventy-five
residents. From 1970 to 1990 the population was reported as fifteen.