Located at the junction of State Highway 31 and Farm Road 55, two miles
north of Purdon in Navarro County Texas.
Silver City was established before the
Civil War. Supposedly, local farmers began referring to the settlement as Silver
City after an incident with a German merchant who during the war, refused to
accept Confederate currency and demanded silver coinage instead. At its height
during the 1920's and early 1930's, Silver City included a cotton gin, a church
a gas station, and two stores. In 1940 its population was reported as
twenty-five but it began to decline after WWII, and by the the mid-1960s, the
town consisted of a store, a cemetery, and a few houses. In 1990 Silver City was a dispersed rural community.