Navarro County Texas
Located in the southeast corner of Navarro County on Farm Road 416,
Winkler was founded around 1879 and named in honor of Judge Clinton McKamy
Winkler. The first post office was established in 1879 and discontinued after
1930. In 1906 a Winkler school enrolled 36 students and employed one teacher. In
1882, Winkler had 75 people, 3 general stores, a saloon, a gin, and two steam
gristmills. The town's population reached 150 by 1925 and remained officially at
that level until the 1949 recount showed thirty residents. Winkler had a
population of 26 and one business in 1968. The 1989 state general highway map
showed a clubhouse in the vicinity, and the population remained 26 in 1990.
Early settlers included the Andersons, Rouses, McConnicos, Tisdales, Polks,
Huddleys, Lees, Sweatmans, and the Pickrons.
Navarro County TXGenWeb
Edward L. Williams & Barbara