Parson's Brigade
Reunion 1900
Corsicana, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Civil War Index

 

Confederate Veteran Magazine
Vol. 8 No. 8
August 1900

PARSONS' BRIGADE REUNION.

The survivors of "Parsons' Old Brigade," Army of the Trans-Mississippi,
C. S. A., closed a two-days' reunion at Corsicana, Texas on August 3.
The visitors were the guest of Camp Winkler and Navarro Chapter, U. D.
C.  The line of march for the parade on the 2d was formed as follows:
Oil City Band leading the procession; Parsons' Brigade, Maj. L. T.
Wheeler in command; Camp Winkler, A. F. Wood commanding; Garitty Rifles,
Capt. E. C. Lee; Corsicana Light Horse Cavalry, Capt. R. B. Allen,
followed by the Daughters of the Confederacy in carrages -- all in charge of
Maj. H. W. Button, Officer of the Day for Camp Winkler.  Upon arriving
at the city Park, the Veterans were welcomed in a address by Hon. Rufus
Hardy, of Corsicana, responded to by Capt. B. F. Marchbanks, of
Parsons' Brigade.

Then followed dinner served by the Navarro Chapter, after which Maj. L.
T. Wheeler, President of the Brigade Association, delivered his annual
address, which was a magnificent paper, and it was ordered to be
published in pamphlet form.  Maj. H. W. Burton, of Corsicana, made a speech
replete with amusing anecdotes and high compliments to the Southern
women in war times.  He closed by singing the "Good Old Rebel," which was
received with shouts of applause amid a shower of bouquets.

Among the distinguished visitors introduced to the Veterans from the
rostrum was Mrs. Roberts, widow of the last ex-Governor O. M. Roberts, of
Texas.

The entire morning of the second day was taken up with the annual
business of Parsons' Brigade, and the following Association officers were
elected for the following year: President W. N. Kenner, of Corsicana;
Vice Presidents, John Cox, E. M. Hawkins, and William Coggins; Treasurer,
Captain Getzendaner, of Waxahachie; Secretary, J. A. Scales, of
Corsicana (reelected); Chaplain, F. C. Ray.

Ennis, in Ellis County, was selected as the place for the next annual
meeting, on August 2, 1901.  After a splendid dinner was stored away,
the Veterans and their friends again assembled in the large pavilion; and
after music by the band, addresses were made by Hon. R. E. Burke, Hon.
George T. Jester, Colonel Bowman, and Major McKnight.  The meeting was
adjourned late in the afternoon, the Veterans all shaking hands and
singing "God Be With You Till We Meet Again."  Thus ended one of the most
enjoyable Confederate reunions ever held in the county.

Bunny Freeman
Co-County Coordinator
Henderson County TXGenWeb Project
 


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox