United Daughters of the Confederacy
Colonel Roger Q Mills Chapter 2466
Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Civil War Index

 

The Colonel Roger Q. Mills Chapter 2466, United Daughters of the Confederacy, was organized June 19, 1982 by Mrs. M. F. McEntire, Texas Division President at that time.  The Chapter was chartered August 31, 1982, with eighteen charter members.  The Organizing Chapter President was Mettie Bennett Stokes.  The other first officers were Marleny Ivy, Vice-president; Iris Cowan, Recording Secretary; Betty Partain, Registrar; Gladys Rouse, Treasurer: Opal Bonner, Historian and Mozelle Pillans, Chaplain.

On the recommendation of founding President Mettie Stokes, the Chapter was named Roger Q. Mills 2466 after Colonel Mills, a famous Confederate veteran from Navarro County.

The first local Chapter of the UDC was organized even earlier in May of 1897 and was called Navarro Chapter 108.  Mrs. F. J. Halbert was the Organizing President, and  there were fifty-three charter members.  This group reached a membership of over two hundred before declining and disbanding in 1952.  The Chapter was very energetic and worked closely with the two Navarro Confederate Veterans Camps. C. M. Winker 147 and Roger Q. Mills 106.  These two UCV camps and Navarro Chapter 108 raised funds in excess of $3,000 to erect the Call to Arms Confederate Monument located on the Navarro County Courthouse lawn.

The fund for the statue was begun in 1898 and completed in 1908, dedicate3d in 1909.  The sculptor was L. Amateis of Washington D. C. and it probably was made from melted-down cannons. The monument was cleaned and restored in the spring of 1989.  The action was a joint project, organized by the Navarro Council of the Arts, the Colonel Roger Q. Mills 2466 UDC, local business people , local art and science students, and Dallas sculptor, Stuart Kraft.  The rededication ceremony was conducted May 18, 1989, with County Officials and Texas Division UDC Officers present.  Local Chapter President, Verna Bonner, presided over the ceremony, and Texas Division President UDC, Edith Williams of Austin, rededicated the monument.

The Colonel Roger Q. Mills Chapter 2466, UDC, is a memorial, historical educational, benevolent, patriotic organization. It is closely associated with J. L. Halbert Camp, 359, Sons of Confederate Veterans.


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox