Hodge Oaks
Chatfield, Navarro County Texas


HOME


Historic Homes Index || Photographs Index || Historical Markers Index

 


Antebellum Home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Haynes, Chatfield, Texas 75105

Built in 1860 by steamboat Capt. Robert Hodge and named "Hodge Oaks" for the magnificent oaks in the yard, the house was surrounded by a 1280 acre plantation.  Slave cabins (one of which survives today), barns and outbuildings were located north of the main house.  Famed for his hospitality to travelers, Capt. Hodge entertained many distinguished guests here including Sen. John H. Reagan, who became Postmaster General of the Confederacy and Gen. Jo Shelby, C.S.A., who visited in June, 1865 on his waty to join the Emperor Maximilian in Mexico.  Originally, a widow's walk crowned the roof, from which the Captain and family surveyed the countryside for marauding bands of Yankees during Reconstruction.  Lovingly restored by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Haynes, the house is presently home to four generations.

Picture postcard, Jan 9, 1999 Commemorative Issue, Battle of Hodge Oaks Plantation.
Distributed by the Old Chatfield Confederate Post Office Antique Shop
P. O. Box 26, Chatfield, Texas 75105


Photo by Dana Stubbs

 

 
Photo by Dana Stubbs

 


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox